z

Young Writers Society

Chapters

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:20 pm
The Jesseble says...

I don't know whether anyone has this problem but i really get stuck when i have to decided when to end a chapter.

Length wise, i always do long chapters because I can never write a decent chapter ending. I hate doing short chapters because they always seem too short and i keep adding stuff on to make them longer >_<. What does a chapter ending have to be like? Does it have to be exciting or just normal?

errgh! I get so confused.
***The Jesseble***

Cheese Hat

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:51 pm
Swires says...

I see chapters as just a natural way to end a certain part of the story. I like to think of Chapters basically just for reading practicality but some people put a lot of thought into chapter beginning and ends.

It is nice to have a hook at the end of a chapter to make the reader want to continue on to the next chapter.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:56 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

Chapters usually end with either some sort of line that lets you know the chapter is done, or something shoking that makes you want to read what happens next.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:59 pm
Jennafina says...

I think a chapter ends when one thing is resolved, and the next thing is about to start.

For example, if soldiers are having an arguement while going into battle, I'd end it when they're forced to stop talking because they're about to go fight.

Chapters that end in cliff hangers are okay, as long as you don't overuse them.

I think chapters shouldn't have to be all the same size, but within a few pages of eachother. If some of your chapters are thirty pages long, there shouldn't be any that only last one or two paragraphs. If you want to divide up a chapter, you could consider using three stars (***) or something.

If a chapter ends in complete resolution, it had better be the last one in the book! ^_^

Good luck, I hope I could help.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:20 pm
The Jesseble says...

Cheers everybody...I can now go back to my pathetic chapter endings and change them in style ^_^
***The Jesseble***

Cheese Hat

The ink in which our lives are inscribed is indelible.
— Helena 'HG' Wells, Warehouse 13