Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great,
And would suffice.

Ah, this poem. It's one of my favorites, you know.
I'd like to know what you think of it. Are you one of "those who favor fire" ?
Or do you agree that for "destruction ice... would suffice"?
Also, why do you think he wrote this poem? Was it inspired by a certain event? Did this poem inspire you in someway?

Tell, tell! I'd love to read your thoughts!
Cheers, Alpha

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:06 pm
lilymoore says...

I too have always enjoyed “Fire and Ice.” There’s something quaint in its darkness that I have always really enjoyed.

As for myself, I suppose that I’m one of those weird individuals who would prefer fire over ice. I live in a rather chilly part of the world in a house with a family who always has on the AC in a basement that’s always very chilly so something as intense but comforting as fire would be nice.

I honestly can’t say what may have inspired this poem from Frost. I can only imagine that one day, he was watching a candle melt a drift of ice and this powerful poem struck him. But that’s what I’ve always assumed.

More than anything, though, I would really like to hear what Frost would choose, hand gun to his head sort of situation: fire or ice.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:49 pm
TheHiddenMask says...

Wonderful comparison between the two subjects, I like it quite a lot.
The way I am, the way I write, the way I act is all on me. Whether you truly know my identity to remove my mask.

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Mon May 02, 2011 2:31 pm
Calligraphy says...

Unlike lilly I would choose ice. Both do suffice in destroying things. Even though I love the way fire looks and I almost chose it I finally decided that ice would be much prettier.

Whenever I read this poem I never thought of Frost looking at fire or ice. I actually always thought this poem was symbolism for all the dispute about heaven and hell. I always thought that he was saying that there was no such thing as a perfect world and that it would destroy the earth too just because it was so perfect. But I could have completely made this up in my own little world.

A. S.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon May 02, 2011 10:53 pm
SkyeDreamer says...

Some say the world will end in fire,Some say in ice.From what I%u2019ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice,I think I know enough of hateTo say that for destruction ice Is also great, And would suffice.

I would choose ice. I don't really know why; I just really like ice and cold. I think it'd be a more pleasant way to have things/ life destroyed.
Why did he write this? For all we know, he was literally talking about the end of the world. I thought he might have been discussing his preferences and beliefs about it. Maybe he'd been reading and hearing about the Apocalypse and wondered about it, or he'd been thinking about science theories vs. religion. Also, he could have been talking about all the hatred in the world burning like a flame, but that if there was no disagreeing, the quiet (ice) would destroy us because we had no different opinions.
~Please review me~
*Want a review? Just ask!*

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue May 03, 2011 7:12 pm
EtCetera says...

The two elements referred to are polar opposites. Fire is often literally destructive, hot, and bright. Metaphorically, it is used for chaos, power of emotion, etc. Ice is destructive too, but it will destroy over long periods of time. Ice is obviously cold, hard, and dark. I use ice in the idea that it is tyrannical, ruthless, etc.
Personally, I think that the world will end when these two elements (in every meaning) attempt to annhialate each other and, in short, the world will be destroyed because of it. I refuse to blame one or the other.

156 Reviews

Reviews: 156
Tue May 31, 2011 7:26 pm
KatTrain says...

I would definitely choose Ice, seems less painful to me!

But metaphorically speaking, fiery, passionate endings are always much better than the creeping hate-filled ones.
So, a dyslexic man walks into a bra....

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:42 pm
View Likes
PixieStix says...

i love this poem soo much! It is one of my favorites, yet sometime I think that it does not mak sense.. becaus ei I re-read it undiffrent then you guys!! I red it the same, passonate.. but most of the time I take it possitve to understand the passonate side of this poem. But to answer your question... I might side to ice. Its mood and culture. It makes me feel comfterable to one side. It relaxes me.

On the other hand Fire is very wild... and crazy... in life thats what its about!! I love partying and thats fun!!! I think that it makes sense to choose fire and it keeps me awake.. yet I don't get to go to sleep as much as ice.. so then I won't get that much exited about fire. But I can always drink some energy drinks or something to keep me up.. but yet i still need to sleep.

for my final answer I will say Ice.. Relaxing and sleeping is the best option. thanks for asking! I feel comfetrable talking to people. I hoep you feel the same!!! If you have any question than just leave them on my profile! Thanks !!!

~PIxie2~
All you need is faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie-dust!

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:14 am
catslikebooks2 says...

fire, explosions, war, they would destroy the earth quickly, with little regard for anything in its path. But Ice, hate, animosity, contempt,they work slower, but completely decimate any hope. Fire, desire, while it destroys much, it ignites hopes as well, it also can ignite a fiery hate, or desire for revenge, that can turn into the cold animosity of ice. So I would say fire can destroy the world, but also renew it again. To get the job done fire would have to turn to ice.
"You know how writers are... they create themselves as they create their work. Or perhaps they create their work in order to create themselves."-Orson Scott Card
Cats are awesome! So are books!so obviously; catslikebooks2!

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:50 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

I like this too. It was a mix of lightheartedness and darkness. It's some kind of beauty between two great opposites. Anyone agrees?
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:29 am
AwesomeSocks says...

This is my absolute favourite poem :) Ever since 6th grade, when I decided to memorize it... Haha, personally I prefer ice :)
transmissions from space

I sleep with reckless abandon!
— Link Neal