z

Young Writers Society

Is Poetry Dead?

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:05 pm
View Likes
sbitonti says...

lilymoore wrote:A classmate and I were talking about his English homework the other day and he asked me a question that kind of made me really wonder: "Why do people even write poetry any more?"

I mean, obviously they do as this forum has made quite evident but how often any more do you hear about famous poets in the news or see poetry books topping the best seller lists.
So I felt compelled to ask the question here. Do you think that, in this day and age, poetry is dead?

In my opinion, I think it's reviving actually. You see it especially in modern poetry. It's all over tumblr. While I sometimes feel conflicted that some people are putting together vernacular words or phrases, putting it on paint, and calling it 'poetry', it has become more widespread.
I've noticed most high schools are opening poetry clubs, or at least have an increase in members if the club was previously established.
I think this form of expression is becoming more prominent in society. And I look forward to seeing it so!

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:34 pm
Audy says...

^ Yes. Very true :) Another thing you can do is you can go to google.

Type in your town.

Type in Poetry.

You're welcome.

I know where the wall goes.
— Creed, the Office