z

Young Writers Society

Rhyming Poems

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:44 pm
lilymoore says...

So, my teacher just gave us the news today that we need to write a ballad that rhymes.
Problem, I don't really rhyme good. More importantly, I don't rhyme in poetry well.

Any tips, besides using a rhyming dictionary?
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:16 am
MeanMrMustard says...

Read Shakespeare. Buck stops there.
The only other worthwhile advice is to get a dictionary. A list of rhyming words is no good if they mean nothing when put together, unless you're crafty and going super modern.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:38 pm
Kale says...

Don't sacrifice meaning for rhyme. Or I will be forced to hunt you down and stab you with the nibs of my calligraphy pens (they're nicely sharpened, by the way, and it would be a shame to dull them on your eyes).

In all seriousness though, ballads are a very flexible rhyming form. Unless your teacher has given you a set number of syllables, I suggest using a larger syllable count per line (eight or more) as it makes natural rhyming easier. Also, with ballads, there's no need to rhyme or keep the syllable count the same every line; there's many different patterns.

A ballad, as you now will see
with this here demonstration,
can alternate the rhyming lines
which aids in their creation.

Here, I used an 8/7/8/7 syllable pattern with a mostly iambic meter. So long as you keep the meter and rhyme scheme consistent throughout the ballad, you should be fine.

One technique I find that helps me pick words to rhyme is to pick ones that have direct relevance to the subject. For instance, in the example, I was giving a demonstration on ballad creation, and so those were the rhymes I chose. Browsing through thesauri and dictionaries is a good starting place to find relevant words that might be worth rhyming.

From there, it also helps to start out with the rhymes in place and construct the poem around them. If a rhyme refuses to fit, however, don't force it. Instead, I suggest finding another one to take its place.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:00 pm
rememberme says...

You can try rhyming ever other word. I dont know what a ballad is, but I ussually go through the alphabet and write down tons of words for each letter. Then I go back through my list and I can ussually find a word that rhymes. I just brainstorm words. Idk if that will help you, but I hope it does(:!

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:05 pm
Button says...

I too hate rhyming >.<

The things that I've found is to rhyme the actual sound of the word, the middle of it, rather than the ending. When you rhyme endings and do it all the same length for each line, you generally make the rhyme scheme completely dominate the piece altogether, which is of, not a good thing. Sorry I'm not more helpful. Good luck!

-Coral-

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:06 pm
Ligea says...

You could always try to rhyme meanings and say that you like that Hebrew way of doing it! 'Course I tried that once and made my teacher really mad...*shiver*. Yeah...don't listen to me.
"Without the oceans there would be no life on Earth." - Peter Benchley
And without Earth, there would be no oceans, or anything on earth.

170 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 170
Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:41 pm
Boolovesyou says...

rhyming is great but do not make it to sing-song like then it seems immature almost. Its a thin line between rhythm and sing-song like.
Milestiba uzvar visu, Milestiba ir upuris.

"I feel like if men sent unsolicited dragon pics instead of *other* unsolicited pics they’d get a lot further in life"
— ShadowVyper