z

Young Writers Society

Help Deciding

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Hibiscus says...

I don't know what I want to post... And I don't even know if this is the right forum to put this in.
There's three different poems I want to post, but one of the poems is actually the basis to a short-ish story I wrote. So I don't know if I should post the short story and then the poem, or the poem and then the short story, or just the poem, or just the story, or none of them at all. 'cause I was actually going to use the short story for a class of mine... so I don't know... Lol, and the poem is basically just an UBER shortened version-summary of the short story. And then the other two poems I can't decide. There's one a wrote a while ago, and I don't know how anyone would feel about reading it. I mean... I like it, obviously, lol, mainly because I can relate to it well. But I don't know if anyone else would like it. Then the other one I just wrote today... And I don't like it so much. It's so-so for me. I mean... I did it 'cause I was bored and half-way as a joke. Then again it seems the ones I post up on here that I don't like, people do like, then the ones I do like, others don't. Lol.
Not that many people look at my poetry in the first place, but I'm very grateful to those of you who do, especially to those who comment. Because I love comments and critiques so that I may gain new information and in-cooperate it into poems to become a better poet.

The poem titles are:

"I Only Miss You" (This is the poem that inspired the short story I wrote for it.)

"Static Cling" (The one I wrote a while ago that I liked.)

"A Fantasy" (The one I wrote today that was so-so in my opinion.)

And the short story is called, "Obsoletely Perfect". (Yes I know "obsoletely" is not a word.)

Anyway... I can't decide. So I'd appreciate if I could get some help. What are your opinions, everyone?
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Got Support~?
viewgroup.php?f=336

315 Reviews

Reviews: 315
Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:55 am
Navita says...

Firstly, I have no issue with a poem being a rehash of a short story. I've done it enough times myself - mixed and merged ideas, drawn from my poetry and spooled out an entire tale from the stanzas, or vice versa. I think it can be pretty fun experimenting with media and ideas.

That said, I think you should post at least one of them. Even if you're going to use the short fic for a class, I think it should be fine sitting here for a few days getting reviews. I know you might feel a little like oh-I've-already-posted-something-that-was-along-the-same-lines - but it might just be something interesting for us as readers to see ( referring to the poem, here).

It's interesting what you say about poetry you like that others don't or poetry that others like that you don't. I feel like that all the time - I get totally unexpected comments usually, which is why I'll toss the occasional experimental piece up here for a laugh, see how it goes. Personally, I'd recommend putting up the more recent ones since your writing has probably been evolving and ameliorating in the meantime, so it's likely - well, it is to be hoped that - it is better, and takes into advice criticism people have already given. Also - I find I tend to care more about comments on recent poetry than former poetry (which I sort of despise a while after having written, no matter how much I loved it then) and so feel less inclined to fix it up or take advice into account (since it was old, hence was obviously rubbish..etc etc).

Hehe, looks like it's you like the former one better. Post each up slowly, then; see how it goes.

And don't forget to review in return!

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:23 pm
Hibiscus says...

Thank you for commenting!
I was really hoping somebody would, because I was in a stump.

I suppose I'll post up the poem that is the basis for the short story, because, if people like the poem then I can go ahead and put up the short story. ^^
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Got Support~?
viewgroup.php?f=336

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and the shadows will fall beyond you.
— Walt Whitman