z

Young Writers Society

Dramatic vs. Lyric

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:16 pm
brainychic212 says...

I've been getting into poetry lately and I was hoping someone could clear something up for me. What is the actual difference between dramatic and lyric poetry? I read on the forum under each name that dramatic poetry "is told through the voice of a single person to the audience" and lyric poetry "expresses the wishes, the hopes, the joys, and the sorrows of the author" but I still don't fully understand. Any clarifications would really help me. :)
"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony, in a moment."
-Pride and Prejudice

"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader—not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon."
-E.L. Doctorow

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:36 pm
Kamas says...

Lyric poetry is a type of poem that expresses the emotions of the author, but it can be set into a song if wanted. It can be in forms of ballads, sonnets, ballades, villanelles, minnesangs, pastourelles, canzones, and stevs. But that's getting complicated, think that if your poem has a particular form, or set of poetic rules that it follows it belongs in Lyric.

Dramatic is a simple form of verse poetry. So if you just write a poem in verse, that doesn't follow a particular set of rules and a story or point of view is expressed through the poem itself through the author's or the author's persona.

Hope that helps, if you have anymore questions feel free to give me a shout.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:32 am
Hannah says...

From my understanding, lyric poetry is more about sensations of nature, landscapes, general feelings and emotions, while dramatic poetry is about showing one person's point of view.

Don't worry about it too much, though. If you post a poem in either, it's unlikely anyone will notice that it's in the wrong forum unless you accidentally post lyrics to a song in the lyric poetry section (which you should put in the lyrics section).

^____^
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:45 am
Kamas says...

Yea, no one notices anyways =P
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:55 pm
brainychic212 says...

Thank you both for taking the time to read and reply to this. Both of your explanations really cleared things up for me. I plan to continue to write poetry and post it on this site and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules by posting it in the wrong forum. :)
"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony, in a moment."
-Pride and Prejudice

"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader—not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon."
-E.L. Doctorow

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:51 am
MeanMrMustard says...

I'm actually against the labels here, of only dramatic and lyric. If you must represent poems, use the names as they were to provide proper context: pastoral, elegiac, didactic, lyric, dramatic, and epic (probably have the hierarchy wrong). The need for the six orders of poetry is to illustrate the gradual ascension poets of the "golden age" went through, but also the areas that still very much exist in relation to poetry. We may say that poetry is open ended now, but people still use these areas, knowingly and unknowingly. The difference is the systems of writing, technique, expectations, and tradition have been demolished as the only approved orders that existed centuries ago.

I'm not going to make a fuss over dramatic and lyric only, just provide the past a voice.

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:00 am
kikialicia31 says...

I agree with everyone. At first, when I was new here, I was confused about the same thing. I have not much to say here because everyone had said what I want to say.

Good luck,

Alicia.
"The nicest part is being able to write down all my thoughts and feelings, otherwise I‘d absolutely suffocate."- Anne Frank

We are discreet sheep; we wait to see how the drove is going, and then go with the drove.
— Mark Twain