z

Young Writers Society

How Beastly The Bourgeois Is

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:50 pm
Moriah Leila says...

I am not very fond of poetry or very talented at analyzing it, but I thought I'd get outside my comfort zone. So I choose How Beastly The Bourgeois Is by D.H. Lawrence mostly because the title caught my eye. I wasn't sure what a bourgeouis was, so I looked it up. Webster defines a bourgeois as:

1. Relating to, or characteristic of the middle class
2. Marked by a concern for material interests and respectability and a tendency toward mediocrity.

I believe that it is this second definition that Lawrence focused on in his poem with lines such as "Isn't he handsome? Isn't he healthy? Isn't he a fine specimen?" and "Nicely groomed, like a mushroom, standing there so sleek and erect and eyeable."

I think the reason I enjoyed this poem so much was because of the negative focus Lawrence put on being ordinary. We sometimes find ourselves slipping into a routine, an average existence, and we then become stale. We cacoon, expecting everyone else to conform to our needs, instead of reaching out and making a difference. We were created to lead lives of purpose, that is how history and mankind progresses. While Lawrence wanted these mediocre people to fade into the background, I want the ordinary to realize their potential and become extraordinary.

I know it's a bit rough, but I hope you enjoyed my analyzation and feel free to leave your own perspective on D.H. Lawrence's poem.
I am not addicted to reading, I can quit as soon as I finish one more chapter.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:30 pm
Nate says...

I think you're pretty much spot-on.

For me, the entire idea behind Lawrence's poem is summed up in the line:
"Nicely groomed, like a mushroom"

To Lawrence, the Bourgeois and the mushroom are one in the same; both respectable from the outside, but both in fact leeches. A mushroom leeches off the decaying remains of others to ensure its existence; the bourgeois do much the same. Neither contributes much of anything to its environment.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:26 am
Snoink says...

I actually didn't like this poem that much. The word "bourgeois" made me think of French or Russian and when it was English, I was rather confused. Yes, it can be used to describe them, but really?

However, there were certain things that I did like. For instance, I liked the description of the bourgeois meeting something new and different that, because of his stubborn spirit, wouldn't change his mind. I just wish he dealt with this conflict more!

Also, I wished he would address the ladies. They can be awful. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

we went from advice to meth real quick
— ShadowVyper