z

Young Writers Society

Great poetry words.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:40 am
Princess says...

I have been scanning the poetry forums and I saw that a few people have been using really common words, which is not expected from us YWSers, since we are all awesome! I have a list of words for you that would be great to use.

May. Instead of using might, it would be a good idea to use this word, so your poetry sounds smoother and more sophisticated. It is also good, because it has the same amount of syllables.

Passion, or Beloved. Often during poems about love, you get caught saying 'He loves me, she loves him, I don't love him' or something like that. It bores people, so try to add at least one of these words into a love poem to make the reader fit into the author's position without getting bored. WARNING: The words I gave you have different syllables then the word love does, so be careful.

For the word beautiful, which is another common word, I chose the words: exquisite, gorgeous, stunning, and lovely. These words add some spice and imagery to your poetry. I personally would recommend exquisite. Rhythm is everything.

I was only able to find one word for hate, but I decided to post it anyway, because hate is such a dull word. Instead of hate, why not use detest? There are over 104 words that rhyme with detest, and it would be great for rhythms too!

If anybody else has any other words, post them below!

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:45 am
whence says...

I would like to offer the suggestion that should ever find yourself flipping through a thesaurus while writing a poem, you put both of them down and read some good, inspired, and fully realized pieces.

Poetry is not to be belittled by synonymy nor five-dollar words.
Either the feeling is there to be expressed, or it isn't. If it isn't, then trying to do so anyway is futile.
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:32 am
erratik_statik says...

yer agreed (call me a purist)

i just know from experience that it rarely comes off feeling natural

by all means extend your vocab, but not for the purpose of a single poem
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas. . . . . .

"The Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock" T.S Eliot

As my artist’s statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
— Calvin