z

Young Writers Society

muscicians as poets

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:07 pm
jones32 says...

I was wondering, what does everyone think about musicians as poets. The lyrics they write, is it just another kind of poetry? I was just thinking, because in every genre I've noticed some brilliant 'poeticness'.

From rap, (lil wayne) -
"flow sick put a straight jacket on my words , so sick they think that somethings in the herb, they think I'm gone but i am fine like a womans curves"/

'I said I do, but I really don't,
Because it's you that I really want,
and we can do what you really want,
Girl we grown,
and if he ain't gon' treat you right,
Then I ain't gon' treat you wrong,
thats my word, she heard so many lies
she don't know what's true or not,
Shawty like a vallet service, I said she been through a lot,
But I put her car in park and never let her cry alone,
I listen to her heart beat because it plays my favorite song.'

To rock, (Kings of leon)-
'I never ever cried when I was feeling down
I've always been scared of the sound,
Jesus don't love, me no-one ever carried my load
I'm too young to feel this old.'

What are your thoughts on this?
i'm so lost x5

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:51 pm
PenguinAttack says...

I think that songs have a lot of elements that are much like poems. But it's the lyricism that is the connection, some poems have a lyrical way about them that just hits as song.

In the case of many lyrics, though, they're not anything like poetry. In the case of the first song... I see it as lyrics, not as poetry. I am, I can admit, more of a traditional poet than contemporary in that I dislike poems that I feel make no sense, that have no "poetry" in them. I can see their importance, their use, their meaning, but I dislike them all the same. I like my poems to have beauty and depth and meaning.

In the Kings of Leon lyrics I can see more poetry, but obviously you'd need more - I would need more - to call it a poem.

I think the main difference between the two is the feeling you get from reading them. Some poems cannot be lyrics because they just don't translate, the same can be said for lyrics into poems. The matter is similar to prose, there are some prose pieces that are amazingly poetic but are still prose.

So, in the end, I think some musicians(or lyricists) are poets while some are not. ^^

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:40 pm
Clo says...

I do think songs are lyrics not poetry - BUT there is the whole concept of Slam Poetry. A lot of the time it sounds like rapping, and music can be involved, like beatboxing and the like. It's recited poetry meant to sound pleasing to the air and to be impressive upon presentation - so maybe that's something you could look into! I'm involved with it, and it is really very funny.
How am I not myself?

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:57 am
Cade says...

Listen to some Leonard Cohen or Mountain Goats (John Darnielle). Or Bob Dylan. Seriously.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind