z

Young Writers Society

Rhyming in Poetry

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:29 pm
Leja says...

Now, I know there are alot of tangents the title could take, but my specific question is: how exact do endings have to be to rhyme? For example , would the following work rhyming-wise?

I want to give her a rose
Before the show will have closed

So "rose" and "close" rhyme, but if I add a D to "close" will it still rhyme? Do the rhymes have to be exactly the same sound endings, or can I modify them like this?

:?:

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:34 pm
Jassie says...

In my opinion, experience and from what I've seen. Rose and Closed would work. It's your poem, you do what you want to do. Yes you want it to sound good as well as look good. But it also depends on the rest of the poem. Could you PM or write the entire poem for me? I'm sure its great, just don't make the poem seem like you created the poem around words that rhyme.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:40 pm
Leja says...

The above wasn't an actual poem, that was just writing to the rhyme to give an example. And yes, for the example, I did create the lines around the rhyme.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:59 pm
Trident says...

Sure! It's a near rhyme, so you'll not find too many problems with it. It might even make a poem not sound too forced.
Perception is everything.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:26 pm
Jassie says...

Kk but in a nutshell. Writing a poem around words that rhyme makes everything seem forced and so-so. What I mean by so-so is, you want your poem to be great, not just good enough.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:26 pm
Emerson says...

I forget all the definitions for type of rhymes...

There are some exact rhymes, and then there are rhymes that sound the same, but really aren't the same. Rose and Closed works, as far as I can tell. Sometimes, though, I've found it's difficult to end lines in verbs because of tense, and then the next line usually has to be a verb, in that tense, or it sounds strange.

EX: walk/talked. Doesn't work, does it?
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:03 pm
Cade says...

Yeah, it's called slant rhyme, and it is a gift from the heavens.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:20 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

There are very different ways you can rhyme, there is internal rhyme, which is where there is rhyme within the lines and not at the end.

Types of Rhyme

* Perfect Rhyme: The words are in complete aural correspondence. An example would be: Certain and Curtain.
    * Forced Rhyme: An unnatural rhyme that forces a rhyme where it should not otherwise be.
    * Slant Rhyme: The words are similar but lack perfect correspondence. Example: found and kind, grime and game.
    * Masculine Rhyme: Has a single stressed syllable rhyme. Example: fight and tight, stove and trove.
    * Feminine Rhyme: A stressed syllable rhyme followed by an unstressed syllable. Example: carrot and garret, sever and never.
    * Visual Rhyme: A rhyme that only looks similar, but when spoken sound different. Example: slaughter and laughter. This type of rhyme can be used more to make a visual pattern than to make a aural rhyme.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

237 Reviews

Reviews: 237
Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:44 pm
Teh Wozzinator says...

I've used a lot of rhymes... I try to be pretty close most of the time, but I think that it'll always sound fine if you add an s to it. ("Walk/talks") Also, I use things like "Walk/talked" or similar. I think that as long as it's pretty close, it should work okay. I'm definitely not perfect though, because often my rhymes are forced or they're too far apart. (Like heavily/angry in my last poem...)

One example of a non-perfect rhyme is from my poem "Hell's Battlefield" (topic25620.html that's for if you want to see all my forced rhymes...). It's "Pain/change". I also use "again/Grim", which is quite imperfect.

So yeah, I am definitely not the best example for this.

Hope this helped somewhat!

Teh Wozzinator
Go K-State for North Division!!

Carpe Diem
— Catullus