z

Young Writers Society

What's so bad about Emo poetry?

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:12 am
chocoholic says...

Really, what does everyone have against it? I don't see what's so bad about it. Most of my poetry could be classifed as 'emo', not because I'm an emo, but because I struggle to write about anything nice. I'm just a dark person.

Please explain why it's so bad because I don't get it!
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:19 am
thethinkerofthoughts says...

Yeah, I concur! Is it because it because we're all scared of sad people and that we're in denial, like nothing bad ever happened? Or is it because we don't want to wreck our perfect lives by getting emotional over others' misfortune? Or is it that we think that sad people should keep it inside, that they should carry on being happy? It's annoying- show some sympathy and respect! :evil:
WHY IS IT THAT EVERYONE RUNS SCARED FROM "EMOS"?!

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:32 am
PenguinAttack says...

Personally? I've got a problem with Emo work, or work that can be classified as emo, because it's not what I want to read. Not just in a 'I don't like it' way.

I find that emo and sad, or anything else that could be defined in that realm, to be very different things. Emo work is usually whinging, and often has no literary merits.

I am not saying your work is emo Choco hehe ^.^ I, myself, am a dark person, and much of what I write reflects that - full of blood and hate and depressing ideas hehe - but it isn't (as far as I know) classified as emo. Work that is emo is usually classifed that way for its lack of merit, definition and overall whinginees. lol. That's the kind of work where I read it and think "Oh, for heaven sakes, get over It, and Yourself." As opposed to something where I think "ohhh, thats So sad!"

Then again, this is only my opinion.

*Hearts* Le Penguin.

EDIT: I just thought of a little example, you know when poems and that are all "oooh, I wanna cut myself, no one understands me, everyone hates me, just because I'm sad, I'm all alone, I'll go cry now blah blah blah" lol.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:15 pm
Rydia says...

I agree, there's nothing wrong with dark poetry but emo poetry is much too over dramatic. Any poetry that is effective as a piece of literature does not count as emo poetry but a poem that is nothing more than a rant? That's emo poetry and I don't mind reading it but I don't tend to enjoy doing so.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:05 pm
Trident says...

Emo poetry is often unoriginal, unimaginative, and provides only for the author, not the reader. You may say that it's personal and not meant to be read by others, and that's fine. So keep it that way. Poetry is meant to engage the reader along with the author and when you cater to the self, the reader becomes disinterested.
Perception is everything.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:12 pm
Emerson says...

I can only echo trident, because he said it better than I could have.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:39 pm
Writersdomain says...

There's a difference between dark poetry and emo poetry. Emo poetry is dark poetry portrayed in a, to echo Trident, 'unoriginal, unimaginative' way, in a way that does not engage the reader. There's nothing wrong with writing about 'depressing' things, and most critiques aren't scared of sad people; we're just disinterested by the over-dramatic, rant-like aspects of 'emo poetry.'
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:10 pm
Cade says...

"Emo" and "sad" are two very different things. Sad or dark work is depressing, is meant to be upsetting or melancholy. "Emo" is a slang term that connotes something more along the lines of "Boo-hoo, wrist slash, shattered soul and bleeding heart" and "emo" poetry is just bad. Sad or dark poetry can be very good, but that's no excuse to write a poem about shattered souls and bleeding hearts and how depressed one is. *sigh*
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:25 pm
EnchantressMuffin says...

But really, where does one draw the line between "sad" and "emo"? You can write a poem about how bad you feel, but that doesn't make it emo... I mean, I know about the wrist slashings and my-sorry-life-whimper-whimperings, and that's a little lame, but really, writing about depression is different than whining about a sorry life. Maybe if you back it up, flesh it out a little, it could work...

I've lost track of my point, so I'll shut up now.

Peace, love, chocolate,
Muffin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:42 pm
Snoink says...

Emo poetry tells us that the narrator is sad and doesn't give us any depth beyond that.

Sad (possibly suicidal) poetry shows us that the narrator is struggling with a million other demons and finally cuts to just "get away" from everything else, because life has become so horrible that death is preferable.

You see, I don't think emo poetry really doesn't do that thought justice, because it's so shallow. When I read emo poetry, most often the images are black roses and woe and that sort of stuff. And the reasons that they kill themselves is because "Life is so bad!" And that's the only reason.

What makes our lives so wonderful/horrible is the diversity of experience. If you do not take advantage of this in your poetry, you have failed.

With that said, I leave you with my favorite poem about cutting: "Why a Scar is Better Than Being Good At Swordfighting."
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:01 pm
Leja says...

Emo poetry does not present any new ideas. It's cliche at its best, and more than often doesn't attempt to do anything but whine.

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:50 pm
thethinkerofthoughts says...

I know there's a difference between sad, dark and emo. That's why it's annoying when some people just label you "emo" (I am not an emo and have nothing aginst them but I don't like being labelled before my stuff's read).

Yes, emo poetry is heavy and may be described as unoriginal but it's different from the same old cheesy "I love you".

I can understand people finding it heavy, maybe thinking people "whine" but hey some of us really do have something to say, and as for the "keep it private" remark, many people buy certain band's records because the bands say in their music what no-one else will and because their fans connect with it.

Sadness has many different aspects that can be described in many poems, not just loads of the same. I'm not trying to say "Isn't it dreadful, everything's awful!" I'm just expressing how I feel, and it's not always gonna be great. I try and be versatile though, write some happy and optomistic stuff.

I know I'm not an "emo" but I'm just saying there's ore to it than "moaning" as some of you put it!

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:12 pm
Leja says...

I am not an emo and have nothing against them but I don't like being labeled before my stuff's read

I don't think that really happens; I think it's that once a poem has been read, people will realize that it seems emo and let the author know. Being "labeled" generally has the connotation of being ignorantly categorized, which, if the person has read the poem, is not the case.

Yes, emo poetry is heavy and may be described as unoriginal but it's different from the same old cheesy "I love you".

Those "cheesy I love you" poems aren't all there is to poetry. And I don't know what's "heavy" about emo poetry? There's not... much to think about. Personally, I think it's rather immature.

but hey some of us really do have something to say,

But it's all said the same way, and that's what becomes tiresome.

as for the "keep it private" remark, many people buy certain band's records because the bands say in their music what no-one else will and because their fans connect with it.

In that case, I don't think the bands intended to "keep their ideas private" I think they wanted to sell records. And plenty of people say the same thing as these bands do (including other bands), which is more of where the tired "emo" ideas come from.

I know I'm not an "emo" but I'm just saying there's ore to it than "moaning" as some of you put it!

Find me a poem that's more than "moaning" and I might reconsider. I promise to have an open mind! But by definition, emo is kind of moaning.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:24 am
Lynlyn says...

Trident wrote:Emo poetry is often unoriginal, unimaginative, and provides only for the author, not the reader. You may say that it's personal and not meant to be read by others, and that's fine. So keep it that way. Poetry is meant to engage the reader along with the author and when you cater to the self, the reader becomes disinterested.

Agreed.

And I know I'm going to get shot for what I'm about to say.

The modern "emo" movement and subculture - I'm talking today, not in its roots - is, in my eyes, built around a rather pretentious concept. "Emo" or "emotional" song and poetry suggests that the author has some sort of deeper or more severe emotion than the normal human, that they have transcended the suffering of others. And as far as I'm concerned, that's a great way to distance yourself from your audience - unless, of course, they're a fellow emo-despairer.

Basically, those of us on the "other side of the fence" don't get anything out of it. We all suffer. We all feel terrible sometimes. So to suggest that any song or person or poem is more emotional is, to me, an absurd concept. We are one hundred percent emotion. That's what we are. That's all.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:32 am
Cade says...

Oscar Wilde said, "All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling," and I like that quote. I feel it's rather suited to this discussion.

It's also Oscar Wilde's birthday. Happy Birthday!
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix