z

Young Writers Society

Line Breaks

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:02 pm
Leja says...

So how do you decide to break your lines in poetry? Is it whenever you "think" you should, whenever it "sounds right"? Or is there some... not rule, quite, but some strategy to use?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:08 pm
Rydia says...

Whenever it sounds right but then, that's different for every writer is it not? I don't like to have really long lines so I always break before it's further than three quarters across the page and sometimes I'll have a really short line to create more impact but I find it hard to explain my 'rule' because it's automatic. When it feels right or looks right to start a new line, I do so and that's as precise and accurate an answer as you're going to get I'm afraid.

There again, sometimes I writer structured poetry, in which case I break after a certain number of syllables.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 pm
EnchantressMuffin says...

I operate along the lines of "sounding right". Wherever I think a line should be, that's where I put it. Sort of like writing poetry; I just write down the phrases that pop into my head. There's really no formula for it.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:37 pm
Meep says...

I say my poetry before I ever write it down, so I put in line breaks where I pause and/or breathe. Double line breaks usually indicate a longer pause (and a deeper breath). I also usually try to make sure the line breaks (and indents) look good, because I'm a geek like that.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:07 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

I sound out my poetry when I write it. Actually I sound out everything I write, something I have always done. So I'm with Meep, I usually put line breaks when I pause, or when it looks proper on the page. I usually put stanza breaks when I change topic/idea or POV.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:07 pm
Cade says...

I do not put line breaks where I pause (unless the line breaks between sentences). That's what punctuation is for. See, when you read poetry aloud, you disregard the line breaks. You do not pause for them, unless, as I said, the punctuation begs it. Line breaks can put emphasis on words at the end of a line or words/phrases on individual or otherwise separated lines--this is because it does take extra time for the eye to move to them--and sometimes poets use this. I either use them for emphasis or at a natural break, such as at the end of a sentence or clause.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:51 pm
Snoink says...

It depends on what kind of poem you're writing, of course! :D

This may be helpful.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson