z

Young Writers Society

Ways to display poetry

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:45 pm
RunningSneaks says...

I am writing a series of poems for an English project. I would like to display them in a creative way, using some sort of 3-D art. One idea I had was to make a quilt with the poems on it. Do you have any ideas?
Do not be afraid death, be afraid of the un-ran run.
When life gives you sneakers, go running!

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:56 pm
Meep says...

It would be really interesting if you wrote your poems on square paper, and then folded it into origami. Double bonus points if you write haikus. (That would make them impossible to read, though, so it might not be the best idea if it's a writing assignment.)

... as for something more practical, have you considered writing/embroidering poems on to clothing? The backs of t-shirts or sweatshirts are good places for poetry. Or you could write your poem(s) down the front and/or back of either (or both) pant legs. This would work well if you like textiles, which I'm guessing you do.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:09 pm
something euclidean says...

Depending on what you want for the size/orientation of this, you could make a string of the poems - they could be on anything, paper or plastic or cloth - and attached horizontally [like christmas lights] or maybe in a few vertical strands, like a beaded curtain. This could be impractical if it has to move around, but might look cool and work well if static in a room. If you want something more obviously three-D, you could make cardboard poem cubes.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:28 am
Leja says...

To expand on Meep's idea, it might be cool if you first folded the origami, then wrote your poem on it, maybe giving each stanza its own wing, head, neck, tail, etc. This would be especially cool if the poem could be read in different ways to mean different things, depending on what order you read it in.

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:30 pm
EnchantressMuffin says...

That sounds complex. Would you do the writing before or after the folding? Or would you fold, unfold, write, and refold?

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:11 am
Cade says...

One thing I've wanted to do for ages (but haven't got around to) is to write quotes or whole poems or songs on the paper lanterns that hang over my bed. They're spheres...one is blue, one is purple. They used to sell them at Target but I don't know if they do anymore. But that would be neat...they would be lit from the inside-out.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
— Albert Einstein