z

Young Writers Society

Poetry Convention

Reviews: 1
Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:40 am
Rasi says...

I got an invitation recently to a poetry convention in Nevada, I was wondering if anyone had been to any poetry conventions and if it is worth the cost of going??!!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:08 am
Emerson says...

Hmm...

I'd want to look into it a bit more for myself, specifically. A [younger] friend of mine was sent something saying they won a poetry contest and it was very much a scam.

You'll want to check the legitimacy of it.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:56 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

Ya, Claudette is right. I did work experience in Poetry Ireland two years ago and they told me about these poetry scams, where, like Claudette says, you're told you've won something. Apparently, they're not uncommon, so I'd do some research.You should always be wary if people are trying to charge you for this kind of thing. Sometimes it's just a couple quid for lunch or whatever, but after that you'd need to have your wits about ya.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

Why should Caesar just get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smushed under his big feet? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, right? Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar, and when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just stab Caesar!
— Gretchen Wieners