z

Young Writers Society

Must a poem have meaning?

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:15 pm
blonde&confused says...

I think poems always have a meaning or simply a thought that was going throu the poet's head when they were writing them. because without that thought, the poem means nothing, it's just words.

I don't think that meanings and thoughts always have to be dressed up and hidden in metaphors and fancy language thou. i mean this might just be me, but i write poems because at that particular moment there is an image in my head or an emotion going through me that i have to express or explode. Whether i express that with a metaphor or not is besides the point, the important thing is to let it out.

I always hate it in school where we disect poems until there is nothing of them left. it's kind of like that saying - 'the whole is so much greater than the sum of the parts'. When you take a poem apart like that, you end up losing some of the initial magic the poem held. Plus the majority of the time i think people are looking for meanings and messages in the poems which just aren't there.

The important thing when reading poetry and books is just to enjoy it and almost let it wash over you. Anyway if it's well-written, you shouldn't have to go looking for the meaning, it should just be there.

That's my opinion anyway.
H. Edwards

Stupidity's the deliberate cultivation of ignorance.
— William Gaddis