herb/tea/hour! He/She

projects:
5 acts (poetry)
treading through abyss (novel)

Reviews: 4
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:55 pm
View Likes
silkrat says...

It depends what I'm trying to say with my poem. I don't think there is a "better" one, and my favorite poems use a mixture! Wordplay/alliteration/rhyming is a part of poetry for a reason, and can emphasis flow if used correctly.

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:24 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

I agree with silkrat! Typically if I'm doing something that's a bit lighter tone / sillier / gotten bored with my usual poetry forms, then I'll really try for rhyming cause I think it's fun to interrupt my thinking/writing poetry c:
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:51 pm
View Likes
TimelessMage says...

I typically go more for flow, but there is a time and place for rhyming. Typically, if I do have rhymes in my poetry, I keep them internal to the line, and also use alliteration to assist with the flow of the poem. Writing a metered poem makes it very hard to keep a rhyme scheme, so in essence, it depends. I have written both. One of my favorite poems that I have written is called the Clocktower, and it has a rhyme scheme. My second favorite does not. If you have a full project that your quotes are embedded in, I would love to get some context to the stanzas that you have.
We create these worlds not for the sake of others, but the worlds and characters themselves.

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:43 pm
Liminality says...

Like silkrat and keystrings, I might use either or a mixture, depending on the poem! I don't think either one is 'better' than the other.

I think what I tend to do is write a poem that is mostly unrhymed and then end up with a couple of lines that contain rhyme for emphasis. In revisions (which are probably the most important part of my own poetry process) I might add or subtract rhymes depending on whether I think they sound good or whether they emphasise the part of the poem I want to emphasise.

Nowadays I tend to be stingy with my rhyming because I focus a lot on a narrative/ meaning / image and I don't want a stray sound to detract from my central idea. But there's definitely forms of poetry where the sound devices (such as rhyme) are the central idea, such as abstract poetry as explained in this Writer's Digest article.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting.
— John Green