z

Young Writers Society

Is this weird?

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Mon May 19, 2014 2:06 am
Snowery says...

With poetry I have a tendency to read it and write it like I do with lyrics. I always imagine music or a beat behind it. I think it's weird and probably not the right way to do it. Can anyone help me fix this?
The World Is Mine.

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Mon May 19, 2014 9:28 pm
View Likes
Audy says...

Poetry borrows a lot of similar elements that lyrics do! Rhythm, beats and syncopation and all that! I don't know if there's necessarily anything wrong with it, but it might help to read more poetry with a strong voice that's not so heavily accented with a regular beat.

Do you use a lot of rhyme? I always find that rhyme sort of enhances this effect.

301 Reviews

Mon May 19, 2014 11:35 pm
Snowery says...

Thanks for the link Audy! :) I should probably make a more conscious effort to not try and "sing" poems :P I'll try what you said.
I've barely written any poems so I'm not too sure but I think I do tend to use rhymes.
The World Is Mine.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon May 19, 2014 11:59 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Remember... sonnets are always to be sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island theme song:

And limericks can always be made to fit Billy Joel's Piano Man. No really... try to fit these limericks to this..

You're welcome.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

301 Reviews

Tue May 20, 2014 1:24 am
Snowery says...

Thank you Snoink, I'll definitely check those out! What an interesting idea :)
The World Is Mine.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue May 20, 2014 4:09 am
Meshugenah says...

Yeah... I haven't figured out how not to write poetry with a strong rhythm, yet :P

Or maybe I'm the only one who feels the rhythm (it's a musician thing, I swear) in the words themselves, not as set to something? Regardless, definitely nothing wrong or weird with writing poetry as rhythm/beats!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

301 Reviews

Tue May 20, 2014 1:18 pm
Snowery says...

Thanks Meshugenah! I was beginning to think I might be the only one.

I can't even read poetry because I end up trying to read it a song and when I can't I end up just not getting it. *sighs* poetry will be the death of me.
The World Is Mine.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:42 pm
bluebird24 says...

If you write with a beat, you may be interested in spoken word! Its poetry where the tone and performance greatly affects the piece. Try searching Shane Koyczan or Sarah Kay for some idea of what exactly this is!

We always talk about the "doers" and "dreamers" but I'd like to give a big shoutout to the "tryers".
— Hannah Hart