z

Young Writers Society

how do you write a haiku?

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:02 pm
tori1234 says...

Haiku's are one of my favorite types of poetry. I love how someone can write something so short, and still make it beautiful with 17 syllables. I also love to write haiku, but I'm afraid to say that I fail miserably at it. I written 100+ of them and there are only a couple that I consider worthwhile.

I need some tips on haiku! Anything will help!
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:38 pm
Leja says...

Hi tori,

A lot of haikus traditionally describe some aspect of nature, but some of my favorites aren't really about anything at all. Take this famous one, for example: "Haiku are easy/but sometimes don't make sense/refrigerator" It cracks me up every time, even though I see it everywhere. Here's a challenge, though: in your haikus, why did you choose to write them as haikus, instead of as a little stanza? Also, what aspects of the haikus you consider worthwhile make them worthwhile?

Happy writing!

367 Reviews

Reviews: 367
Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Mizzle says...

Hi Tori! Haikus are beautiful forms of poetry, originating from the Japanese. A haiku is composed of three lines and usually a noticeable grammatical break. A haiku is a non-rhymed verse genre.There are 5 syllables in the first sentence, 7 in the second and 5 again in the last sentence. Haikus are usually nature-themed, but they don't have to be; it's a just a general preference that most people use nature themes. It's completely up to the writer, though.
Hope this helps. If you need any further information, please feel free to private message me.

Mizz
"Chase your dreams, and remember me, speak bravery,
Because after all, those wings will take you up so high."
-- Owl City, "To the Sky"
✯ ✯ ✯

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
— Samuel Butler