z

Young Writers Society

What is Poetry?

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:36 pm
Leja says...

What is poetry?

It's one of those questions that shouldn't be too hard until you try and answer it... so what do you think?

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:43 pm
October Girl says...

Wow Amel, that was a random question. Poetry to me would be expressing my feelings and trying to feel what others feel around you. One of my poems "Better off dead" is what it's called, I went to sleep and at 2:56 AM I started writing because I felt that way in a dream... I know as crazy as it seems, but it's true. Most of my poems people say are emo.... well that's because I am emo. But my point is I think that poetry is a short but descriptive way to express emotion. If not yours someone around you. Best of luck with your question.

-Max
We're meant to be one
I know we are...
If I am the Sky
Then you are my star... ™

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:23 am
alleycat13 says...

I think poetry is the best expression of whatever it is you are trying to express. A teacher I once had told me that poetry should explain in the fewest, most concise words possible how you feel/want to tell. I didn't always believe that, but the more I write, the more I realize that what he said is true.

Poetry is the best way to say what you need to say, and it is versatile too.

You can write in all these different styles and tones, use any words or phrases you want and express yourself. Oh course, with that comes the "well, why isn't what I wrote considered poetry". Well, we do have to draw the line somewhere :wink:

Like above, poetry is mainly the best way to express something.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

I sleep with reckless abandon!
— Link Neal