Young Writers Society

What's so bad about Emo poetry?

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:00 am
Gadi. says...

Hmmmmm....

I think you're all generalizing this.

I think that there you can't just say "emo poetry is this, emo poetry is that", blah blah blah. First explain to us your definiton of emo poetry.

My definition of emo poetry is that it's usually very Latin or Greek, does not follow a particular rhyme scheme, has an unusual rhythm, and is rather interesting to read. I love reading emo poetry.

I do hate, however, poetry like
"And my heart fell inside my body
My voice is gone fro screaming;
Life is too hard for me to live,
Now where is the effing knife?"

Etc. etc.

So please don't stereotype.
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:28 pm
Leja says...

I do hate, however, poetry like
"And my heart fell inside my body
My voice is gone fro screaming;
Life is too hard for me to live,
Now where is the effing knife?"

^ and my definition of emo poetry is like what you provided above. Overly emotional. I honestly don't believe I'm stereotyping here.

My definition of emo poetry is that it's usually very Latin or Greek, does not follow a particular rhyme scheme, has an unusual rhythm, and is rather interesting to read. I love reading emo poetry.

^ most of what you've defined here is poetry in general: rhythm, rhyme, interesting aspects, those are generally part of all poetry. I'm not sure what you mean by Latin and Greek; do you mean it derives from classical poetry of those origins?

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:34 pm
Aet Lindling says...

Um, gadi, are you sure you aren't thinking of Gothic poetry? Because I don't think anyone here disagrees with Gothic poetry.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:22 pm
Fireweed says...

Chocoholic, I agree with you that the term "emo" gets thrown around too much, and I realize that poetry that is dark or expresses sorrow isn't necessarily emo. I associate "emo" with whiny, unoriginal and cliche. However, I don't t label poetry that's dark or depressing as emo if the poem is actually unique and expresses sorrow in a fresh way without overused phrases and imagery.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:38 pm
Cade says...

Going on what Fireweed said...if a person was sad because something really bad happened to him--perhaps he was mourning for a loved one--I wouldn't label that person "emo". There's a difference between emo and sad, and I think most of us recognize that. People who write emo poetry are likely sad or frustrated; they're just not very good at expressing it.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:06 am
Areida says...

Emo poetry is bad because it sends me spiraling into unfathomable depths of despair that cause me to fear I will never escape from their malicious, mercilous clutches to see the sun again. And my soul weeps.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:14 am
Cade says...

Areida wrote:Emo poetry is bad because it sends me spiraling into unfathomable depths of despair that cause me to fear I will never escape from their malicious, mercilous clutches to see the sun again. And my soul weeps.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

*much applause*
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

163 Reviews

Reviews: 163
Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:32 am
Kit says...

If an emo poem sent me to the depths of despair and shattered my soul, that would be an effective poem, an ineffective one would be self indulgent attention seeking cliches. Emo for emo's sake doesn't work. Sorrow and tragedy are universal human experiences, if you think because some girl dumped you you know suffering and the more than one billion people without access to clean water don't, your whinging means very little as it has no perspective.

But likewise, other poetry genres face similar a spectrum of crapness.
Who hasn't read a syrupy love poem that sent them into a diabetic coma, a limerick that had no punchline, a turgid ballad or a horrible haiku.

One thing can be said about all of them: at least they aren't Australian bush poetry... **shudders**
Princess of Parataxis, Mistress of Manichean McGuffins

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:25 pm
Rigel says...

I personally think that it's too easy to just write about blood and dark and fire. And I mean just blood and dark and fire. You lose my respect when you fail to give a reason besides vague personal loss. If you're just feeding me those shadowy corners of your soul, I feel queasy. Give me some context, and I'll cry with you.
If I don't get you, PM me!

“Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.”
— Dylan Thomas