4%
Other
8%

Total votes : 100

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:51 pm
Nate says...

So what holiday will you be celebrating? Feel free to explain the siginificance of the holiday as well as any family traditions that you may have!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:04 pm
Firestarter says...

Yule - because none of our family are Christians. Yule came before Christmas, and, even though I'm not a pagan, I like the word Yule more and it's more historically English than Christmas, which simply took over Yule and made it more boring.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:16 pm
David Guinness says...

My family will be celebrating Christmas like most in our area (high conservative-Christian population), but many will be celebrating Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, and I'm honestly quite surprised not to see at least one percentage yet for those two. However, it's still quite early.
David Guinness

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:48 pm
Tara says...

I'll be celebrating Yule, for pretty much the same reasons as Jack.
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:54 pm
Meshugenah says...

Channukah because my family is jewish (er.. minus my dad's side that I don't really know, that is). so channukah and christmas, the latter being mostly for my dad and uncle, the only non-jews of the family this side of the mississippi, and in a minority on the other. and thus is my slightly strange family. and sam's (crysi) birthday, as she thinks it should be a holiday :P

family traditions include bagels and lox on christmas, gag gifts, and latkes. latkes get better and more fattening every year.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:03 am
Crysi says...

Well DUH, of COURSE my birthday should be a holiday! Aren't you all celebrating right now? *laughs*

Anyway, we celebrate Christmas. It's my favorite holiday of the year (well, tied with today). I usually get pajamas the night before, and then my dad reads The Night Before Christmas to me that night (and growls at me when I start reciting it from memory). Then we wake up early the next day and go downstairs. My dad builds a fire and makes us some hot chocolate, then we start handing presents to each other and we take turns opening them. After all the presents are opened we grab our stockings and open those presents. Later in the day we go over to my grandma's house, and we usually have dinner there.

We might have to add in a new tradition this year because of Kevin, though... We'll see. :)
Love and Light

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:54 am
marching_gurl89 says...

Yule and Christmas. Yule because I am wiccan. Christmas because my family is Roman Catholic.
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:33 am
ladydark says...

Celebrating Christmas, but we also celebrate St. Lucia, since we're Swedish, wee... she was an awesome person :cry: but I do not live in Sweden, I'm in America, but we still celebrate
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”

"Foul devil, for God's sake, hence, and trouble us not;
For thou hast made the happy earth thy hell,
Fill'd it with cursing cries and deep exclaims." (Richard III 1.2) Shakespeare

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:16 am
sabradan says...

Channukkah.. Celebration traditions? One word: latkes. Well, that and having a big ol party with my family and freinds and us all having fun and getting fatter and throwing alcohol and fat and cholesterol down our throats. Mmmm mmm good.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:15 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Christmas!

Nothing like an excuse to stress out, buy stuff, and generally gather with family.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:21 am
Snoink says...

Is it Hannukah or Channukkah?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:29 am
sabradan says...

Its both, as the only "real" way to spell it is in Hebrew.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:59 am
Elizabeth says...

Christmas... because... my dad doesn't like... being... Jewish... or something... even though he is because he told me any child born from a jewish mother is Jewish...

So... Am I partiallu Jewish as well? hmm

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:08 am
Emma says...

Crysi wrote:I usually get pajamas the night before

Hehe! Same here, my mum buys us Pjs before christmas and we get to wear our christmas Pjs the night before christmas! Heh, yeah, we celebrate Christmas. It's fun.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:45 pm
View Likes
Matt Bellamy says...

I celebrate Christmas, my family is Roman Catholic. As for traditions, we just laze about with our presents then have dinner, laze about some more and my sister and her children come over for a buffet-type dinner with leftover turkey, sausages on sticks, crisps, chocolate log, etc. Then on boxing day we go to Manchester overnight to visit family.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots; Her coat is one of the tabby kind,with tiger stripes and leopard spots.
— T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats