Other
8%

Total votes : 100

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:44 am
View Likes
Beethoven says...

lol, but there are a few accepted ways: Hanukkah, Hanukah, Hannukah, Chanukah, Chanukkah, Channukah, Channukkah

Enjoy : P

And Merry Christmas!!!
Your existence is overbearing.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:25 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

ummcowsareawesome wrote:
KayJuran wrote:manchester has to be good - apparently has the second biggest china town in europe!!! :P

anyway, i'll be celebrating xmas. my friend has already celebrated eid. but what is kwanzaa?! never heard of it...

You don't know what Kwanzaa is?! You must not get out (of the country) much. Kwanzaa I think it is like Hannaka (i don't know how to spell that) where they get a candle thing and stuff and lasts for a number of days. It's in African culture too, or Jamaican, I'm not positive.

Maybe Jamaican since you won't find it at all in Africa; they either celebrate Eid or Christmas over there. But it's a purely American holiday.

Kwanzaa was borne out of the civil rights movement in the States and was meant as an African-American alternative to Christmas. It is kind of like Hannukah since it's celebrated over a length of time rather than a day (although in truth, Christmas is celebrated over a two week period), but each day is meant to celebrate a different characteristic, such as unity or purpose. It's also meant as a holiday where blacks can reconnect with their roots.

In any case, it's an artificial holiday whose reason for existence (an alternative to Christmas) I don't really get since African-Americans are strong Christians, but it celebrates characteristics that everyone would be good to listen too. It's also important to note that Kwanzaa is not just meant for African-Americans; anyone can celebrate it. Indeed, I've never known a single black person that has celebrated it, but I know several white people who do.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:07 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

Both sides of my family are catholic, so Christmas for me.

Marching_gurl-
How long have you been a Wiccan? One of my ex co-workers is Wiccan. I read a bit about it, but found out it is a lot broader than I thought. :wink:
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:00 am
View Likes
Galatea says...

Yule for me. Christmas for my family.

*dances for latkes*
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:49 pm
innerbeauty555 says...

I don't celebrate holidays.
You say "crazy" like it's a bad thing...

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:23 am
Pushca says...

i am celebrating the solstice just so i can tell my stepfather's catholic relatives i'm a practicing pagan.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:18 am
View Likes
sabradan says...

Channukah again. w00t. Obviously I didn't change religions since last year. However, this year I will also be celebrating "Lonely Jew Day" (aka Christmas) with my fellow Heebs by going to each chinese food and watch a movie in the theater (the only things that are open) and then going to go get drunk. w00t.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:38 am
deleted6 says...

Chrismas still to get the tree and decoration up. We normally have The Chrismas Music Channel playing in background.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:08 am
Mr. Everyone says...

Jahova's witness, sorry don't celebrate anything

keep writing guys and =) happy reading (=
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:19 am
sabradan says...

Mr. Everyone wrote:Jahova's witness, sorry don't celebrate anything

keep writing guys and =) happy reading (=

I learned about you guys in my World Religions class. I hope you don't mind me saying this, but it seems like your guys' religion is very depressing. No holidays. No Celebrations. The end is sealed. So whats the point in life?
*note, thast just my oppinion.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:26 pm
-KayJuran- says...

You don't know what Kwanzaa is?! You must not get out (of the country) much. Kwanzaa I think it is like Hannaka (i don't know how to spell that) where they get a candle thing and stuff and lasts for a number of days. It's in African culture too, or Jamaican, I'm not positive.

That's got to be one of the funniest things said to me in a while - the 'you must not get out of the country much' part - seeing as I'm one of the most well-travelled people I know.

From Nate's description (thanks Nate!), it sounds like an American thing, so that'll be why I didn't know about it before.

...by the way, yes, I know this is an old thread. Just thought I'd mention that. ;)

As for me, I'll be celebrating Christmas again, though it seems odd to do it. It's meant to be a Christian holiday, but it doesn't seem to touch on any of that anymore... Oh well. Christmas tree up - decorated it Monday with my friend. :)
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:27 pm
View Likes
Fand says...

We celebrate Christmas, but more as a secular holiday than a religious one (though we're really not that materialistic... it's more about the spirit and the festivities for my family than the gifts). I'm also celebrating Chanukah with a few of my friends. :D Eid is really fun, though, I went to a huge Eid celebration last year at my cousin's college... the food and music were amazing, and I love the sound of Arabic.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:39 pm
Jiggity says...

Woo! Eid!! Hahaha, its not as good as Christmas though, once you pass a certain age you get nothing. Only the kids, like upto 14 get money though, the little bastards lol.

This time of year is terrible for me, all my friends get awesome gifts .... *is jealous* But ha! I got the looks! *is happy* But still ... Xbox360 *is crying*
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:16 pm
Swires says...

Firestarter wrote:Yule - because none of our family are Christians. Yule came before Christmas, and, even though I'm not a pagan, I like the word Yule more and it's more historically English than Christmas, which simply took over Yule and made it more boring.

Dont mean to start a debate but - when the school bell rings or has run in the past on the last day of term you just sit there and explain how you will be coming in tomorrow? You dont have presents? You dont have a turkey dinner?

I think not - if you were a true pagan you would have no presents, you would sit in school for the entirety of the Christmas holidays and dance around the moon on Christmas night. Happy Yule :) have a good dance while I stuff my face lol.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:17 pm
rosethorn says...

Erm...Celebrating isn't quite the term. But we recognize Christmas, the standard kind with the presents and the tree, but with no real meaning. I even use "recognize" loosly.

Typically Christmas. Probably no dinner. Probably no "family gathering" at that. Just presents. *sigh*

Do. Or do not. There is no try.
— Yoda