z

Young Writers Society

Are You Excited About The Young Writers Journal?

Are You Excited About The Young Writers Journal?

Yes!
34%
Nope
5%
Indifferent
12%
What is it? (Vote to find out)
49%

Total votes : 226

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:17 am
Nate says...

What Is It?

The Young Writers Journal is a collection of works by young writers ages 13 to 22. The average age of the authors is 17.5. Think of it as an anthology with poems & short stories. Some artwork will be featured as well.

To put it simply, The Young Writers Journal is not your self-absorbed, sophisticated, cynical, writings of the 37 year old “frustrated” artist, but it is the beginnings of true art, the budding of writers-to-be, and quite possibly the short stories of bestselling authors decades from now.

When Will It Be Available And Where?

The Journal will be available between mid-January and early February. I wish I could set an exact date, but after I send the book to the publisher, everything else is essentially out of my control.

However, the Journal will be available on Amazon.com & BarnesandNoble.com.

How Much Will The Journal Cost?

I am still experimenting with prices, and until I have a first draft, I can't say with much confidence how much it will cost. However, expect something in the $19 to $20 range.

Will There Be A Second One?

While there will definitely be a second one, the success of the first will determine the timing. If successful, the second one will be published in mid-Summer. Otherwise, wait another year.

Is There Anyway I Can Help?

If you are interested in helping, you can download a flyer here and post in your local library or school. You can also write your local newspaper about it.
Last edited by Nate on Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:20 am
Snoink says...

I know that the math department is interested in the journal, if only because I wrote a story about the magical penguin that lives in the math lab (and yes, the magical penguin is indeed real). XD

They're VERY excited, lol. It's a little scary. ^_^;;
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:54 am
Temeraire :3 says...

Our votes are private, right?
Check out my story in my blog.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:57 am
Teague says...

I am SO excited. I don't even have the words to express my level of excitement. Seriously, when I got the e-mail telling me I'd been accepted, I cried with joy. :D

I haven't told my English class yet (I wrote the story for that class & read it aloud to them for extra credit) but I will come January. I'll ask my teacher to post a flyer. :D

I'm also trying to exercise a bit of influence over my school newspaper (I'm one of the editors, so that influence is considerable) and have them write a feature on me. I also plugged the Journal in a story I wrote about different sites for young writers (this site included).

Most of my family don't know yet, but they will soon (way hey Christmas gatherings). So that's probably about 25 sales on its own, lol. *has a huge family* I'm also considering buying myself an extra copy and keeping my complimentary one as something of a trophy. Plus I prefer hardcovers.

*is only making herself more impatient for January/February/whenever*
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:53 pm
Rydia says...

I'm reasonably excited. Certainly enough that I'll be buying a copy.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:55 pm
Kylan says...

I had a similar reaction, Saint. This is a leg up into the real world. The published world. I am no longer just a writer, but an author as well. It feels great. I absolutely can't wait for the journal to be published.

Two Q's:

- How much publicity, Nate, do you think the journal will get? (Reviews by newspapers, etc.)

- When do you need the mailing addresses of those who're getting a contributor's copy?

(Sorry, both of those questions were really self-absorbed. :wink: )

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:47 pm
Stori says...

Are you still accepting submissions?
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:07 pm
Nate says...

Kyte ->> Nope, sorry. But depending on how well it does, we may reopen the submissions process as soon as March.

Kylan ->> On your first question, I'm really not sure. However, getting publicity in small, local newspapers should be relatively easy considering that small, local newspapers will even pick up a story when someone has their piece published by poetry.com (for those who don't know, everyone can have their piece published by poetry.com as long as you have $50 to spare).

On the second question, you'll be receiving a publishing agreement soon. On that, I'll be asking for your address. You should receive a contributor's copy in mid-January. My aim is to make sure the authors get their copies at least two weeks before it is available on Amazon.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:21 pm
Emerson says...

I'm excited. ^_^

I need to gather the address for my local newspaper. And, as well, perhaps my school newspaper could do something for it? Hm...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:26 am
Via says...

:) I'm so excited!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:29 am
MadHatter says...

I'm pumped for this! I know I'm not getting published in it, but this sounds really cool.
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:02 pm
Elizabeth says...

Who is going to be put in it?
Which authors?
Is... LIZ?! <--- Me?!

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:19 pm
Joeducktape says...

I'll definitely buy a copy. This sounds really neat.
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:06 am
Areida says...

Sooooo excited. YWS is going to be in print! :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:36 am
timmy41 says...

so for like me..(in australia) i'll get all this mail later i assume???
like should people have the publication agreement yet?
lol coz i wont be back home to reply to any mail
for two weeks.
so that could slow the process down i assume.
hmm.

oh well.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, you eat for a day. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
— Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec)