Young Writers Society

Through Veil and Arch {Currently Dormant, Will Revive}

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:46 pm
Omni says...

Spoiler! :
This is set in the universe of Harry Potter, but it does not affiliate with any of the main characters from the series

“Grandma?” The little girl asked, stifling a yawn. “Can you tell the story about the Arch?”

The old woman pulled a small quilt over the little girl. “Well, once upon a time, there was a great citadel in the Lost World. This place was full of people like you and me. Special people.”

“Could they make animals like you?” The girl chipped, the day’s excitement still lingering in her body.

“Oh, they could do many things. Their gifts were very different from ours. The possibilities were endless.” She laid her hand gently on the little girl. “This came with problems, though.”

The little girl gasped and covered her face with the quilt. “What kind of problems, Grandma?”

“The Lost World was a wild place, and their magic reflected that. It was not like the way we use our gifts, it was unpredictable and strong. It was… scary!” The old woman pulled the quilt down and started tickling the little girl.

“Stop! Ahahaha, stop Grandma!” The old woman did so. “What happened next?”

“The Muggles came.” The little girl gasped, and she hid under her quilt once again. “As they did, war ensued, and the citadel in the Lost World was destroyed, forever to lie in ruins.”

“What about the three heroes?” The girl asked, stifling another yawn, her eyes halfway closed.

“I thought you would want to hear about the dragons this time.” The old woman turned off the bedside lamp. Only the ceiling light remained on, leaving a soft glow upon the room.

“The three heroes are my new favorite.”

“Your new favorite.” The old woman shrugged. “Tomorrow, then, we will finish.” She muttered to herself and a small kitten appeared, fitting itself in between the little girl’s arms as her eyes closed all the way. “Sweet dreams, my dear child. Until tomorrow.”

What is this?
Spoiler! :
This is an SB that revolves completely around the ‘Veil and Arch’ in Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix.

Factions
Spoiler! :
There are two major factions:

Magic Users: This encompasses all magical beings and humans that are able to use magic. All playable characters will be magical.

Non-Magic Users: This includes all non-magical animals and muggles. These are the always present ‘bad guys.’ All magic users, good or bad, will try to avoid using magic around muggles.

Sub-factions:

Native Americans: These are the formal rulers of the Lost World, and the leaders of the citadel in which the Arch resides in at the moment. They believe that they are the rightful owners of the citadel and all that reside in there, including the Arch. Not very many people know the reason why the Native Americans want it.

Europeans: These are the people who initiated the war by discovering the Lost World. They currently hold control over the citadel, yet they do not know about the Arch. At first, only Muggles came into the New World, but as the SB starts, magical humans begin entering the Lost World.

Dragons: The dragons associated in this SB reside in the Appalachian Mountains. Faster and wiser than their European counterparts, they have sided with the Native Americans over dozens of years, but they will not help in the conflict on taking back the citadel.

Secret Species: These will be later introduced into the SB, but I want you all to be informed right now.

Major Settings:
Spoiler! :
Roanoke: This is the island that the Native American Council resides in after the Europeans took over the citadel. After they quickly killed the Europeans whom settled there, they used exotic forms of magic to remove Roanoke.

The Port: Merely called the Port, this is the only port in the Lost World fully “modernized” by the Europeans. Most wizards are just arriving here from the European’s side.

The Town: Set somewhere between the Port and the ruined citadel, the Town is more of a small fort built hastily by the European Muggles to prevent the Native Americans from recapturing the citadel. It is the only attraction for Europeans besides the Port in the Lost World.

The Ruined Citadel: This is what everyone, both magical and non-magical, is after. It is the pride of the Lost World, and it is ahead of its time, with large towers marking the borders of the citadel. Every other building is pyramid-shaped. Deep, ancient magic rests in the citadel, and now that much of the city is in ruins, deeper and darker things have been unearthed.

Hikiachvffa: The closest Native American settlement to the citadel that is still intact. Deep magic pours from the citadel, and everything, living or nonliving, magical or non-magical, is feeling it. The entire settlement crumbles a bit more each and every day. It is a dangerous place, but the Native Americans need to be in it. All magical Native Americans besides the Council members are here.

[b]Tuskalusa:
This is the last magical Native American town in the Lost World, with the citadel in ruins and Hikiachvffa falling apart day by day. Before going to Hikiachvffa, twelve Native American wizards, the Protectors, filed away what relies they could in the town’s heart. If the Europeans take over the citadel, this town will be the last hope, and they will not go down without a fight.

Flexible Storybook:
Spoiler! :
In this SB, no character is minor! This SB is set up in such a way that anything, literally anything can happen (With the consent of me, of course)!

The Magic:
Spoiler! :
At this time period, magic is not like it is in HP time, at least for the Native Americans. The Europeans had similar magic capabilities as HP, but the Native Americans have extremely exotic magic that doesn’t use words, but hand gestures. Each magical member has a set ability and an object that helps them in any way.

Character Slots:
Spoiler! :
Native Americans:

Council Member A:
Council Member B:
Protector A:
Protector B:
Mage:

Europeans: (Wizards are a bit stronger than mages)

Mage A:
Mage B:
Mage C:
Wizard A:
Wizard B:

Character Template:
Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Side:[/b] (Native American or European)

[b]Race:[/b]

[b]Magical Ability:[/b]

[b]Magical Object:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[/b]Personality:[/b]

[b]History:[/b]

[b]Object of Bane:[/b] (Please describe an object that will hinder your magical abilities)

[/b]Up For Love:[/b]

[b]Other:[/b]

Rules and Guidelines:
Spoiler! :
Usual YWS rules.
Swearing is allowed, but sparingly. Remember, this is the 18th century, or the 1700s. No F-Bombs.
Romance is allowed, but no sex scenes and, once again, make it sparingly.
This is an invitation-only SB. You cannot join unless invited or PMed. No exceptions.
Make sure to put your name at the top in bold of each post. First person, please.
Active or sparingly active, please.
We will have SB planning every two weeks, on Chatzy and gDocs.
The DT will have information posted regularly.
Please do not have multi-posts, unless you have multiple characters.
Character templates and posts go here, OOC goes in DT.

Experimentation and Personalization:

So, I’m making a new thing that I wanted to try, just to help people to catch up: The Narrator. This is a post I will do once every six to seven posts, give or take a few. It will continue the grandmother and little girl story, adding a fresh take and something I hope will stick to SBs.

Also, I will be implementing something to the character templates, to put at the bottom. I will be making a character in the storyline to fit what you like in a character, just for you!

Code: Select all
[b]”What do you prefer in a character?”  (Please be in depth)[/b]

So, that means that all of you will have more than one character, possibly even three.

Last but not least, in order to make sure that you read all of this (even though the character template addition should do that) I am going to ask you a question for you to answer at the top of your character templates. Answer only, please do not restated the question.

When did you join YWS?

And, most of all, enjoy!

The secret entrance to the Discussion Thread
Last edited by Omni on Sat May 04, 2013 1:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:52 pm
LadyPurple says...

I will post a profile soon. I'm just commenting so I'll remember later.
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:29 pm
methrirr123 says...

OH MY GOD WIZARDS.

can I join?

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 pm
Omni says...

Yeah

sass levels loading

[he/him]

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:41 am
CowLogic says...

Yup, guess I'll put a placeholder here, even though I can barely ever post anyway. I don't know what kinds of free time I will have in the coming time. The last month or so was full to the brim, so, we'll see what this one yields.

BTW, the F word was around in the 1700s.

And just so I don't forget (no one look in here):
Spoiler! :
I joined YWS two minutes ago.
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

413 Reviews

Reviews: 413
Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:20 am
Cailey says...

Ok, Ok, I'm doing it! AP tests and end of the year projects will just have to suck up the fact that the SB will take away part of their time. I'll just have to miss for the week I'm at the beach and the week I'm in Peru and the week of my sister's wedding. Otherwise, Veil and Arch, here I come!
(Except I want some one else to post first, so I have an idea for what kind of characters we'll have.)
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. -Kafka

Look: A Link! https://caijobetweenthepages.wordpress.com/

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:02 pm
guineapiggirl says...

This sounds GOOOOOOD!

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 04, 2013 1:45 am
Omni says...

I am sorry, but I have to lock this. Be assured that this will be revived. I will keep you all in contact in the DT, but I have to lock this. I'm sorry.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun May 05, 2013 9:24 am
Rydia says...

Archived at author's request.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Let the wild rumpus start!
— Maurice Sendak