Young Writers Society

Sleepers Awake | Closed

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:08 pm
View Likes
Threnody says...

The Story:
You live in a world where sleeping has become completely eradicated. A new drug called Lucidus has ensured that everyone who has access to it will never have to sleep and therefore has an extra 14 hours to operate. This seems like an excellent idea and, before long, the government has passed a law requiring everyone 18 and up to take the drug. Productivity in all countries is up and the global economy is better than ever.

However, this drug begins to cause horrible side affects on its subjects. These side affects are collectively called Tremors. For some they take longer to set in, but everyone who has taken the drug eventually succumbs. The victims slips into a coma lasting anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours and then rise. However they appear to be sleepwalking and they are nothing like they were before; they are aggressive, faster, stronger but seem to have been reduced to human's basest nature. They attack everything they see and have become violent, merciless and bloodthirsty. If any unaffected individual is bitten or scratched by them, they too lapse into the deep sleep and eventually fall to the Tremors themselves.

For those that are left, the children and teenagers who did not take the drug, life is a living hell. Any authority figure they have ever had have been reduced to deadly sleepwalkers. They are left to survive on their own, and somehow, if possible, wake everyone back up.

Characters:
Your Character-
Spoiler! :
You will be assuming the role of one of the chidren/teenagers (12-17) who have not taken the drug and are left to deal with the Sleepers. You are one month into the disaster and are nomadic, travelling in your group (6-10 people) towards the Center for Disease Control (CDC) where you heard a cure is being developed. You come from many different backgrounds but share one common goal, which is to survive and find some way to reawaken the Sleepers.

Use this template:
Name:
Personality (Including Likes/Dislikes):
Appearance (Description and Picture):
History:
Strengths/Weaknesses:
Other:

The Sleepers-
Spoiler! :
This is a name that the government, before it fell to the Tremors, called those afflicted. From afar, they simply look like peaceful sleepwalkers. However they will be faster, stronger, fully mobile, mercilessly aggressive and deadly. They can use basic handheld weapons (sticks, clubs...etc) but do not seem to be able to operate machinery or technology. They lack vision but can hear and smell. Given these facts, they are not easy to destroy. Injury to the brain seems to be the only way to truly destroy them.Much is unknown about them, including their reason for viciously attacking, killing, and on some occasions eating, anything that moves. Since Tremors can be distributed by bites or scratches some animals have contracted them. These animals show the same characteristics as their human counterparts and they are called T-Critters. Eating T-Critters results in the contraction of the Tremors. It is unsure if there is a cure for the Tremors, or if the Sleepers can be wakened.

Other-
Spoiler! :
Sleepers are not the only thing one must watch out for. Due to lack of sanitary conditions, clean food and water...etc deadly diseases that were thought to have been wiped out long ago have been making a comeback. Also, some teens and children have become feral, losing all sense of humanity and become brutal and animalistic. Additionally, some children and teens have risen to the occasion and created apocalyptic Feudal Kingdoms, using war and violence against each other to secure land and food.

Rules are as typically proclaimed. Additional guidelines are:
1. Try to make this as realistic as possible. This is not a high school drama, it's a survival story.
2. No boring characters. They should be as human as possible, with depth and perception.

List of Characters:
1. Samuel Laurence ~ Forever Threnody
2. Ali Gray ~ UpandOut15
3. Lorana Adams ~ Pixie2
4. Mason Roderick ~ ChocoCookie
5. Daniella "Dania" Amber ~ Ladyofthedeathroses
6. Claire Stewart ~ Cailey
7. Jeremy Walker ~ Mia Paramore
8. Ritika Jain ~ XxMusicaxX

Please limit your discussions to the DT: viewtopic.php?f=200&t=93753
Thanks!
Last edited by Threnody on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 13 times in total.
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:24 pm
TheClosetKidnapper says...

I am soo joining this if I can. Would it be alright if I reserved a female spot? I'm not sure about the age yet...
I'm never what I like
I'm double sided
And I just can't hide
I kind of like it
When I make you cry
'Cause I'm twisted up, twisted up
Inside

Semiautomatic
twenty one pilots

324 Reviews

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:29 pm
Threnody says...

Sure! Thanks for joining!
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

82 Reviews

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks! I'll have my profile up soon!
I'm never what I like
I'm double sided
And I just can't hide
I kind of like it
When I make you cry
Inside

Semiautomatic
twenty one pilots

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:41 pm
PixieStix says...

Can I save a spot for a female? :) Posting profile soon.
All you need is faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie-dust!

324 Reviews

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:51 pm
Threnody says...

Yep, thanks for joining!
~ The Little Prince~

324 Reviews

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:18 pm
Threnody says...

Name: Samuel "Sam" Laurence
Personality: He is a very no nonsense type of boy who is tough and stoic and does not easily show his emotions. He is the leader of the group and is constantly faced with making difficult decisions, which he is very much equipped for as he rarely lets his emotions play in on his choices. He is obsessed with making sure that the group comes out alive. He is not openly bossy but will do whatever it takes for him to succeed. He lacks trust and will shoot first and ask questions later. He has put his past behind him a lives in the present. Some are concerned about his constantly growing aggression and fear that his leadership position is taking a toll on his sanity.
Appearance:
Spoiler! :
He generally wears lightweight hunting clothing and dresses practically and with utility in mind.
History: Before the disaster he was nothing like he is today. He used to be a socially uneasy and awkward boy who would hole himself up in his room and read science and history books. He developed much knowledge about war strategy, biology, and other things that kept him occupied. However, many of these things he never expected to have to use. His parents fell to the the Tremors while at work so he never had to actually go through the mental anguish of seeing them after they rose. During the initial days of the growing panic, he drove his younger sister and himself to the family cabin by a river where she disappeared. He has vowed to survive, if only to find his sister.
Strengths/Weaknesses: He is very book smart and knows much about battle strategy, science, history,diseases and engineering. Unfortunately, he has never put any of these ideas to practical use until now. He has very good logic and problem solving abilities. He has also developed an affinity for the crossbow, something his father owned for sport hunting. He has some survivalist knowledge from hunting trips his father took him on. However, he is not good at hand to hand combat and melee battles.
Other: Up for love.
~ The Little Prince~

82 Reviews

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:49 pm

Spoiler! :
Hey, ForeverTherondy, would it be okay if Ali (my character in the making) ended up as Sam's long lost sister? I think it would be fit her personality if she was the one who disappeared... I can PM you what I have so far if you like.
Last edited by TheClosetKidnapper on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm never what I like
I'm double sided
And I just can't hide
I kind of like it
When I make you cry
Inside

Semiautomatic
twenty one pilots

324 Reviews

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:14 pm
Threnody says...

Of course, that's a great twist, you're welcome to PM me with any ideas.
~ The Little Prince~

82 Reviews

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Yes! Okay, so I'll PM you with the profile and maybe you could help me out with the history... Would she be in his group, just maybe unable to remember because of a traumatizing factor or something?
I'm never what I like
I'm double sided
And I just can't hide
I kind of like it
When I make you cry
Inside

Semiautomatic
twenty one pilots

324 Reviews

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:17 pm
Threnody says...

viewtopic.php?f=200&t=93753
This is the link to the discussion thread. I will answer your question and all other questions here. Thanks!
~ The Little Prince~

82 Reviews

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Name: Allison "Ali" Gray

Personality: Ali is kind and softspoken, often allowing her emotions to get the best of her. She's frightened by the littlest of things - spiders, ants... any kind of insect basically - and sometimes she just needs someone to rescue her.

Likes: She likes poetry - not the gloomy stuff that's around now, but the old sweet love-song kind of poetry - and old fairy tales she read as a girl. I guess you could say she lives in somewhat of a fantasy.

Dislikes: Insects, violence, blood, alcohol, the Sleepers...anything creepy.

Appearance:
Sai.jpg
Sai.jpg (7.21 KiB) Viewed 419 times

History: Ali remembers little to nothing, her only memories from when she was young coming in the form of dreams. Something happened to her - whether it was yesterday or ten years ago, she doesn't remember - and recollection of it surfaces whenever she gets a whiff of the scent of alcohol or sees large quantities of blood.

Strengths/Weaknesses: Her strength is her ability to keep somewhat of a sense of fantasy about her, taking things as less than they are. Her weakness is her fragile mental state, which gets worse when around emotional triggers of memorium her past.

Other: Up for love, but looking for any kind of closeness with someone.
I'm never what I like
I'm double sided
And I just can't hide
I kind of like it
When I make you cry
Inside

Semiautomatic
twenty one pilots

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:22 pm
ChocoCookie says...

I love the story. Here's my profile! :)

Name: Mason Roderick.

Personality: Mason is a very easy-going person. He doesn't get into fights unless, its very important nor is he short-tempered. He is very romantic, sweet and calm, in general. He is very popular at school, but he never really gets along with a group. He has only 2 best friends, he really likes- Fred and Carlyle. Mason knows what to wear for each occasion and he is best to go shopping with.

He loves to have his girlfriend near him. Though, now he doesn't have anyone which makes him "Single". He thinks that when you have a relationship, the sparks fly and you feel wanted. Also, if he likes someone and they're being insulted/blamed, he backs them up. He likes it that way. He very much enjoys music too. He likes to investigate too.

Dislikes:
All gross stuff and hates bossy people.

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Mason has brown hair and dark blue eyes. He is fairly tanned and puts on casual clothes most of the time. He doesn't like to show-off. He is about 6"2 and has thin lips which gives off his bestest of smiles.

History: Before the disaster, Mason was completely not a whole different guy. It didn't strike him much but, as though, he is not being able to recollect what has happened today. Maybe he just totally forgets what he's doing, and moves on to do something better. Sometimes, he get angry at himself and has a habit of throwing a particular pen, on his table. Before, he also loved his parents and siblings the most. He also had a girlfriend that time but died. His siblings felt for the Tremors, which made him feel less strong because they were his life. So, he decided that he'll save them, for whatever it takes.

Strengths/Weaknesses: Strengths:
He is a build up man, and works out every day. He knows to fight and protect anyone. He is also a very intelligent man, and work out cases within seconds. The answer just hits him. He loves to research through books and investigating has always been his passion. Also, when Mason sets his mind to do something, then he'll never plan to back-out from it.

Weaknesses:
He doesn't have much weaknesses except he is not to see too much blood, or else, he gets this dizziness, but he doesn't faint. He'll get over it once, he's given water.

Other: Up for love.
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:07 pm
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

Can I have two characters brother and sister one a Sleeper one not?
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

413 Reviews

Reviews: 413
Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:24 pm
Cailey says...

Hey, can I have a spot? This sounds awesome. I\ll try to get my profile in today, but I don't know if I'll have time.
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity. -Kafka

Look: A Link! https://caijobetweenthepages.wordpress.com/

What is a poet? An unhappy person who hides deep anguish in his heart, but whose lips are so formed that when the sigh and cry pass through them, it sounds like lovely music.
— Søren Kierkegaard, Philosopher & Theologian