z

Young Writers Society

Camp Venire- Accepting (Still A Heap of Spots) *Starting*

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:26 am
fictionfanatic says...

Campbell

I walked into the cabin, my duffel bag in tow. When I walked in, another girl was already seated on one of the beds, her name written on the board.

Jamie it read. Looking at her quickly, I saw her smile and gave a small one in return, looking away.

Approaching on of the beds, I placed my bag on the bottom bunk.

"Hi," A voice said from behind me, causing me to jump and turn around.

With a large smile, she said, "Didn't mean to scare you there. My name is Jamie."

She stuck her hand out towards me. Glancing at her hand for a moment, I accepted it gingerly and said, "I'm Campbell."

As more people filed in, I took my hand from Jamie's and turned back to my bag, dumping everything onto my bed and putting everything in its place.
Live, Love, Laugh

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:10 am
RedBird says...

Micah,

I like this Jeremiah guy, I have decided. When he puts on a black tee, I don't comment about his scars. If we wants to tell me, that's fine, but I won't go prying. I kick my bag under the bed and stretch out my arms.

"Where did Mr. A say to go when we were done unpacking?" I ask of no one in particular. Luna's twin, Lini answers.

"Just go back out on the drive. We'll start activities from there." She says, nodding out the door.

"Cool," I grin, hoping that one of today's activities was either fencing or theatre, preferably both.

I head out to the gravel drive again, noticing that I am the first camper out. Ah, well, they'll all be out soon. I unbutton my shirt, leaving me in just a tank top, and begin practicing my lunges and fleches.
Last edited by RedBird on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:33 am
AlmondEyes says...

Luna

I headed back to where we were supposed to meet and saw Micah, a guy in my cabin, practicing his fencing. He had nice form. I walked over with a smile. "Hey, you have great form."

He pulls out of a lunge and smiles back at me. "Thanks. Do you fence."

I looked at him. "There aren't too many weapons out there that I don't know how to use."

"Really?" Micah raises an eyebrow.

I nod. "Visiting death's door step does that to a person."

"Does what?" he asks.

"Make them want to live." I answer as I look out to the lake. "I hadn't had a chance to live before having to stare him in the face, but when I came out on top, I knew he wouldn't let me slip from his grip a second time."

I look back at him and smile again. "So would you say those sabers are your weapon of choice?"

"Damn straight." he smiles. "You?"

I notice his gaze fall down...Down...Down...

"Ah," I pull my Sai out. "Do these interest you?"

I twirl them around lightening fast and bring them to a stop before his eyes can register the movement. He blinks and shakes his head. I put my Sai back in their place at my hips and reach for my bull whip. "Or is this what you're looking at?"

"Do you know how to use that?" he asks.

"Yes sir I do. It's one of my favorite weapons to use." I let my fingers trail along it.

"How good are you good with it?" he looks curiously at it.

"When I practice, I use it to take the heads off of the dummies." was my answer.

"I would love to see that." he murmurs.

I snap the whip. The deafening sound of lightening makes him jump. Smiling, I fix the whip and place it back at my right hip as more people begin to show up."Maybe next time."
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

61 Reviews

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:32 am
RedBird says...

Micah,

I keep glancing at the whip and sai at Luna's waist as people begin to come back out to the field. Man, I really want to try them out. And also to have a bout with Luna. I put my red button-down shirt again. Almost everyone from Team B is out now: Lini, Jeremiah, Tanya, and Sunny. Team A kids are coming out too, but Mr. A hasn't come out yet.

"So," I say to Luna, "Are we going to do some fencing today?"

She shrugs, "I honestly don't know yet. There's a good chance, though. We tend to do it a lot.

"Excellent," I grin, "Can't wait!"

"Yeah, I'll have to see if that good form of yours works in context," Luna says, laughing.

"Bring it," I say, laughing along with her.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."

Reviews: 0
Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:37 pm
SassBideAndRawr says...

Skylar

I walk into the cabin with my suitcase in hand and walk to a spare bunk in the corner, putting my stuff down at the edge of the mattress.
There is already two other people there- one girl on a top bunk, quickly unpacking the contents f her suitcase and the quiet dark haired girl with the unusual name- taking up one of the bunks and talking quietly.

I don’t say anything for a moment before I say, “Hi. I’m Skylar…” The girl on the top bunk nods, smiling, “Jamie.” There’s a pause before the other girl speaks, “Hi… I’m Campbell.”

I sit there for a minute, unpacking my bag in silence before I ask, “So… Has anyone been here before?”

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:26 am
KingLucifer says...

Jamie Murilo

"Yep, you can call me the senior of Team A. Also the leader if you guys don't mind, most people call me Ma'am or Murilo. Mainly because I'm going into the military and I'm the Cadet Colonel for the Grey Hound Regiement." I said.

The two looked at each other like they didn't know what I was talking about, then look back at me, Campbell was the first to speck up.

"Uhh so your in the military?" She asked.

I nodded.

"Oh that's kool. What's it like?" Skylar asked.

"If you stick around long enough, you might just get a taste what do you say?" I ask.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:49 am
LilNinjaBear says...

Cody

I walk up the dirt path to the cabins, with my bag slung over my shoulder and the schedule for day one in my other hand.
15 minutes until camp starts for real…

I push the door of the cabin and walk inside, throwing my stuff on the first bunk I see. Nobody else is here yet.
Slowly I wander through the cabin, taking everything in. I was in this team- in this cabin- last time I was at camp and in the two years that I’ve been away nothing much has changed.

I walk back to the bunk, grabbing my bag and unpacking my stuff- I might as well… there’s not much to do around here BEFORE the start of camp- into one of the small cupboards.

Then I turn back and walk outside, wandering around the empty ground for a while before I head back to the meeting place. It’s about time now and there has to be other people there, right?

I walk into the grounds a few minutes later and join the small crowd. Most of Team B is already here and a few members from Team a are loitering around.
I check my watch. Uncle A should be out soon.

Just on time the doors fly open and a few members of the staff walk out handing out schedule’s to everyone that hasn’t already got them.
I smile, pulling my own out of my pocket and studying it for the millionth time. I guess there are some quirks to getting to camp early.
Just as I’m scanning through the day’s activities Uncle A walks out grinning, changed into Camp attire.

“Okay, Everyone! Time to get everything started!”
He looks down at the schedule himself, as if seeing it for the first time.
“Okay, here at Camp Venire we rarely have set activities, instead letting you what you want to do yourself. The only exception for this is the weekly challenge which all team members must attend. The first day here at Camp is the only exception to this rule.”

He looks towards two of the instructors, directing one to each of the teams.
“There will be two main activities for each team today. The GPS Hike and Abseiling,” There’s a pause and everyone looks around expectantly, “Each of these activities will last around two hours each as you will each have to participate several different courses. Your team helpers will explain these in more length later though.”

He claps his hands a few times and looks off into the distance, “Anyhow first up Team A will have the GPS hike and Team B will be sent to abseiling. Then there will be a brief break for lunch before we swap over. Activities after this will be explained at more detail later but for now… It’s time to go.”
He hands a folder to the “Helpers” and everyone begins to walk off.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:55 am
SassBideAndRawr says...

Skylar

I trail after the other members of Team A as we head towards the hike; feeling a drift of relief breeze through me because we DIDN’T get abseiling. Heights… well I’ve never really been all that good with them and when it comes for our team to do that… I don’t know what I’m going to do.

Somebody stops us up ahead and I see a tray holding a map, a GPS and a thin folder containing several pieces of paper.

I see a narrow trail leading up the mountain ahead of us and see posts that are barely hammered into the ground anymore holding a rope. Are we supposed to climb up there?
The woman looks back at us, a small smile on her face. “So… Who knows how to use a GPS?”

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:42 am
LilNinjaBear says...

Cody

I look up at the woman holding the GPS and grin. “I can use the GPS… if nobody else wants to, that is?”
I look around the small circle then back at the map, still sitting harmlessly in the container, “Can’t say the same about maps… They’re not really a strong point of mine and I’m guessing that we’re not meant to get lost?”

I grin, looking back at our instructor, “So where are we supposed to go anyway?”
She clears her throat, seemingly glad that she has our attention once again. She gestures up the steep hill and at the rope connected to the poles.
“Up there. You can follow the track until you get to the top but then… well, you’re on your own.”

She picks up the thin folder in the tray, “There are coordinates in here but you are going to need to find the “Clues” hidden up there,” she gestures up the hill again, “If you want to find the finish point.”

I nod trying to take everything in and then look back at the team, taking everybody in, in turn, “So… anybody know ANYTHING about maps?”

61 Reviews

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:19 pm
RedBird says...

Micah,

"So," I glance around at my group, "Abseiling, huh? I didn't think that there were any cliffs big enough to do that in Louisiana!"

Luna laughs, "You'd be surprised, actually. Let's go get started."

We all follow behind her and Lini as they lead us to a shed to get equipment. I fall in beside the music girl, Sunny.

"You're in a band, then?" I ask.

"Yeah," she smiles, "It's pretty sweet. Music's kind of my thing."

"You have any albums?"
~Snape, AVPM

Reviews: 4
Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:01 pm
SidereaAquila says...

Sunny

"You have any albums?" Micah asked me.

"We're working on our first one," I answered. "I have most of the songs finished--just have to tweak a few--and we have a recording session scheduled after camp's over."

Micah nodded. "What sort of music do you play?"

"I don't know anymore, actually," I replied. "We're all over the place. Our drummer likes hard rock, but our bassist is more of a pop guy, and I just end up experimenting most of the time..." I paused, and then changed the subject. "So you fence?" I asked Micah.
Skittles: Taste the Spectrum

LIZARD!!!!!

61 Reviews

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:53 pm
RedBird says...

Micah,

"That's pretty cool," I say, "And yeah, I fence. I've been doing it for, like, five years now. It's awesome."

"Nice," Sunny says, "So have you done this--what was it?"

"Abseiling? Nah, I've never done it before, but I've heard about it. It's basically like rock climbing, but in reverse. Instead of climbing up the cliff, you're climbing down it," I call ahead to Luna, "So where exactly are we actually going to do this?"

She just smiles and says, "You'll see."

We walk for about fifteen minutes through the woods before reaching a small pool fed by, of all things, a waterfall. The cliff from which the water is falling is actually quite large.

"Wow," I say, impressed, "I guess this is it, then."
~Snape, AVPM

43 Reviews

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:25 pm
AlmondEyes says...

Luna

I smiled. "You bet it is. This water fall is where we'll be rappelling. There's a trail about a few hundred meters away form here, and if we finish before the two hours are up, then we can go for a swim What do you guys say?"

Murmurs of approval rang from everyone. Another smile creeped it's way onto my face. "Alright then, let's go."

Spoiler! :
Sorry my post was so short. I just didn't know what else to put.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:05 am
brittbritt12347 says...

sounds fun :) can i have a female on Team B?
The truth will come out baby, and you'll be the only one lost in the dark >:)

43 Reviews

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:51 pm
AlmondEyes says...

I don't see why not

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.
— William Shakespeare