z

Young Writers Society

Greed. Need. Fame. (Accepting Extras, Starting)

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:27 am
thestorygirl says...

Carmen Sato

I walked up to the address I had recieved in the note. I was toying with a Swiss Army Knife my brother had insisted on me taking in my pocket. I walked up to a large door, I tugged at its handle but it didn't open. A slot opened up and a pair of eyes stared me down.

"Name?"

"Carmen Sato." It took a second but the apparently very heavy door was heaved open. I entered what seemed to be a very awkward nightclub. People were milling around, but everyone seemed very uneasy. There was a very large and obtrusive elephant in the room.

I was offered some wine, but I declined. I didn't like achohol, especially if I was going to see Mr. Ness.

I walked over to a guy standing alone in a corner. "So how do you know Mr. Ness?," I asked him. Maybe not everyone here knew him.

"Most people call him Alfr. And we have similar professions. Dill." He offered his hand and I shook it.

"Carmen. I knew Mr. Ness from a young age, it feels weird calling him otherwise."

"Knew?" His light eyes were questioning me. He seemed intimidating, like he had authority over everyone.

It didn't have an effect on me though. "He killed my father." For some reason Dill smiled into his drink. He mumbled something.

"Sorry?"

He looked at me with a big smile on his face, "I said that this is going to be very interesting for you." I nodded. Two people walked over, one was rather attractive, but he just looked off, and he seemed to be wearing a collar.

"Carmen, this is Ten, my best friend slash brother."

"Nice to meet you," he wouldn't meet my eyes,"and you are?" I looked at the other one. "Eric Gray." I nodded. I was just waiting for Mr. Ness. It was about time we saw him.
Nella vita vi è la distruzione, desolazione nella morte, ma c'è speranza nella rivoluzione.

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:48 pm
LiteraryVenom says...

Belle Young

I glanced at the address as Avori and I pulled up in front of the house. This was it, and it was huge. I gulped, and my friend shot me a worried look from the driver's seat.

"You sure you want to do this Bells? We can go home..."

I thought a moment - we could go home, but where would that get me? Nowhere. No, I had to do this.

I smiled at her, burying my nerves, "I'll be fine Avori."

After leaning over and hugging her, I slid out of the car and started up the path to the front door. I tap on the door once - much too quietly, I know, to be able to be heard inside the building - and the slot on the door slides open. A pair of eyes stare down at me.

"Name?" The owner of the eyes asks.

"Annabelle Young." I say in short reply.

The slat in the door shut, and a moment later the door was heaved open and I walked calmly inside. Curiosity kicked in not too long after, and I let my eyes wander over the inhabitants and the details of what looked to be some sort of party. One of the males had a collar on which, admittedly, was a little strange. I took a glass of white wine that was offered to me and wandered over to this collared man and the group around him.

"What's up with the collar, hmm?" I asked bluntly, gaining a few odd looks from the surrounding group. They had been in the middle of introducing themselves, it seemed.

I took a small sip of the wine - best to try to keep my wits about me - and continued before anyone really had a chance to speak, "I'm Annabelle Young. And you are...?"

"His name is Ten," Said one of the men standing nearby, "And I'm Dill."

"Like the pickles..?" I said, perking an eyebrow. Now there were people named after food and men with collars. Talk about strange.
I have to write. I have to write the same way I have to eat, the same way I have to breathe. It's like life to me. I have no idea where I'd be if I didn't do what I do.

~Yours Truly :3

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:35 am
Sassafras says...

Ten Sauna/Dill Rivanni

"Hi, Ten. My name's Eric. Eric Gray."

I nodded at him, starred down at my plate of cheese crackers.

"You pay Dill sometimes, me to do things too. I did a lot of stuff for you before. I remember."

"I know," he replied. "You're one of Rivanni's men."

"Dill's best man," I replied, chest swelling with pride. I smiled at him before quickly dropping the expression and taking a step back. Silence.

"Your collar-"

"A necessity. At least that's what Dill says."

You should take it off.

"Shush, London," I whisper, my eyes wide. I hear Eric say something, but I don't quite catch it. My heart speeds up and I sit the crackers down.

"We should go... go see Dill. He is right over there."

I walk quickly towards Dill, my head down, mumbling. What was that? Why did London speak. He shouldn't speak. Not now. I'm getting better. I can't let him out.

"Carmen, this is Ten, my best friend slash brother."

I snapped my head up and looked at Dill, he was smiling that smile of his, straight bright white teeth. I didn't smile back and he frowned.

"Nice to meet you."

There was a girl, I didn't bother looking at her. Dill pulled me aside.

"What happened?"

"London," I replied, trying to keep my voice low though panic was growing in my chest. "I didn't do anything he just spoke up and I don't know why, but I'm sorry so please don't be mad at me-"

"Fuck."

Quickly, he reached into his jacket pocket and produced a small orange bottle full of smaller white and blue pills. He pulled out two, one of each, and handed them to me.

"I'm so sorry, buddy," he whispered as he put them in my hand. "I must have forgot."

I was about to swallow the pills when someone spoke up, I lowered my hand, halfway to my mouth, and turned towards the new-comer.

"What's up with the collar, hmm?"

My ears grew hot. I fingered the collar around my neck and frowned, glaring at the girl's chest. The pills fell from my hand and I didn't pick them up.

"It's a necessity," I whispered, too low for her to hear. I pulled at the lock that kept the collar on my neck and Dill grabbed my hand away from it. "It's for your protection, and mine. That's what Dill says," I whispered to no one. "I'll have to teach you some manners, seems you know none."

"Ten, smettila di parlare."

So I closed my mouth and looked at the ground, played with my fingers, closed my eyes, opened them, looked at Eric's shoes. They were nice shoes.

"His name is Ten, and I'm Dill."

"Like the pickles?"

I snapped my head up at her, a low growl emitting from my throat.

"No, not like the pickles, you silly woman," I spoke up, teeth clenched, glaring at the top of her head. "Are you really that dull that you can't respect a man that could order you dead in a matter of seconds. Death brought by me, of course, and, trust me, I'd be too happy to rip your little-"

"Silenzio, Ten. Non parlare con i nostri compagni di squadra in questo modo."

I sat down on the floor, legs crossed, eyes narrowed. I felt Dill's hands in my hair briefly. It almost calmed me down.

Breathe, one two three, Breathe four five six, Breathe...

"Please forgive him. Ten, apologize to Annabelle. Ora."

"I am sorry, Annabelle," I hissed. With that I stood up and returned to the snack table.

Dill--

"Please forgive him. He doesn't know better sometimes. Best to not do that anymore unless you want him on your list of things to eat."

I chuckled lowly and shook my head.

"Anyway, like I was saying. I am Dill. Nice to meet you all."
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:02 am
AlmondEyes says...

Luna

Lini pulled up to the house and parked before looking at the address. "Well, this is it."

The place was huge. Bigger than I thought it would be. Nice too, but that's usually a given. We both got out of the car and headed to the door. I knocked three times and a metal slot opened on the door, a pair of eyes peering out at us. "Name."

"Luna Wenchester." I stated.

The eyes rolled over to Lini. "She's just here to see me off. She's not here to stay."

His assessing eyes trailed over Lini once more before the slot closed, and a moment later, the door opened. I turned towards Lini as she pulled me into a hug.

"Be careful, big sister." she kissed my cheek.

"Of course." I kissed her cheek in return. "I'll be fine."

"Got everything?" she asked.

"Yes." I nodded.

"Sai?"

I motioned to my hips.

"Whip?"

I motioned to my right hip.

"Knives?"

I sighed with a nod. I was wearing a pair of black camo cargos with matching jacket and a tight black fitting tank top that molded to my chest and stomach, outlining my six pack and silver tear drop piercing in my navel. I wore a pair of steel toed boots concealed with daggers at the toe and heel. My boots were custom made, so they were light weight and breathed.

My hair was pulled back into a high ponytail with my bangs hanging loose below my brow to shade me eyes and cover most of the scar on my face, though I didn't really mind it. In fact, I actually kinda liked it. It was a nicely sized scar, starting beneath my right eye and ending at my jaw line. It always made people nervous when they noticed it, and when coupled with my strange eye color, made most people feel the need to not look me in the eyes, which irked me. I hated not being looked in the eyes. To me, it was a sign of weakness.

Lini pulled me in for another hug and kiss on the cheek. "See you later."

With a kiss on the cheek, I returned her hug and turned to step into the house. We waved at each other before the was closed, leaving Lin on the other side. As I look around I spot a few people standing together, and they're all looking at me. I nod at them and say, "Hi, my name's Luna. Are you just going to stand there staring at me," I raised an eyebrow and have a half smile. "or are you going to introduce your selves?"

I looked over and saw one of the guys had a collar and frowned. What the hell? I guess most people would be surprised or horrified, but I was just curious. It took a lot to surprise me. "What's up with the collar?"
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

161 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:48 pm
Sassafras says...

Ten Sauna/Dill Rivanni

John passed me by, patted me on the shoulder, and then took the tray of nearly empty cheese crackers away from me. I snatched them back.

"It's about to start," he said, looking down at me with a small frown. "Shouldn't you go find Dill?"

"Shouldn't you get out of my face?"

He contorted his face into a strange expression, rubbed his chin, and then nodded.

"Yes, actually, I should. I have to make the speech now."

With that he started up the double-staircase and made his way to the overhanging balcony inside the room. He rang a bell, and once he had everyone's attention he started. I decided that I did want to be by Dill and made my way back over to the group of people he was talking to.

"You may die but, then again, you may not."

The crowd gasped and sputtered obscenely at the beginning of John's speech.

"If you do survive you get 100,000,000 dollars cash and more respect and honor than you can ever hope to achieve while living a normal life. And if you're already rich and powerful the least you will get out of this is excitement." I can tell that last part was meant for me and Dill and I smiled. "For those of you who wish to stay and try to survive please follow me into the back but for those of you who don't want to risk it, Bruno will show your way out."

A lot of people started for the door, I don't think they actually know what's going to happen to them once they decline.To think that they could simply leave was a bit stupid. Dill put his arm around my shoulder and started forward, I kept pace. John led us to Alfr's office door, knocked two times, and when the door opened I immediately headed towards my favorite spot, the seat by the window, and settled there, grinning so hard my cheeks hurt a bit. Alfr nodded towards me, tossed me a piece of candy off his desk, and I devoured it.

"So these are my men," he started, shaking hands with a few more people. "Great. Perfect. Yes, well I suggest you all know, in part, what you're getting into, so let's not waste time. You will be transported to a disclosed location, there you will fight to the death with another team. All winners win the prize, and all losers are dead anyway so we really won't have to worry about rewarding you." He barked out a laugh, and I laughed too because it seemed like the appropriate thing to do. Dill just smirked.

"All right, the car will be here shortly, please prepare yourselves for departure until then."

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:12 pm
View Likes
Desticakes101 says...

Cole Baxter

"Pussies" I mumbled under my breath as I watched atleast half of the people head towards the doors. I had been watching everything up until now. Just observing. There was some psycho on a leash, looking like he wanted to stab everybody in the room. Well except for the guy holding the leash which I find strange. And then there's that son of a b**** Eric. I bet that he thinks that he's some hot shit just because he won the hottest bachelor. I mean Cosmopolitan magazine made up for it by putting me as sexiest entrepreneur, but still. I like to win. In everything damn it.

I watch the little sassy, young latina girl stay. I begin to like her already, since she reminds me of Joselyn. And then that gorgeous girl with the weird eyes. She's like a whole different type of being. She walks with a feline grace, and she's muscular yet able to stay feminine and beautiful. She's such an enigma that I decide to watch out for her later. I don't know whether I want to fuck her...or well fuck her. I get up off of the black leather love seat I had been occupying and begin walking to Alfr's office.

It's spacious yet has a sterile feel to it. I kinda drift out as he speaks, thinking back to the girl. Her shiny black hair was almost like silk. I bet that it feels like it. And that strange little silver streak is interesting too.

"All right, the car will be here shortly, please prepare yourselves for departure until then."

I check my swiss army bag and take out my iphone.

"So Coley how are things? Should I send an emergency ride if things are getting kinda weird?" Joselyn texts

"Things are definitely weird all right. But I'm staying. You should've known that I was serious when i put my crossbow in the bag" I text back.

"Well I just wanted to make sure. Have fun and get home soon so I can give you another sort of prize ;)" She says, and then proceeds to send me a rather sexy picture. I chuckle to myself and turn off my phone. Time to head out.
life is a beach (*chuckle chuckle* get it lol)

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:21 pm
AlmondEyes says...

Luna

Just as things start to settle, a man named John starts up the double staircase and made his way to the balcony. The guy with the collar, Ten, I believe was his name, walked over to another man, most likely the one who put a leash on him just he as began.

"You may die but, then again, you may not."

The crowd gasped and sputtered obscenely at the beginning of John's speech. Can't say I was actually surprised. When you want something like money, fame, power, or thrill, you can't expect to not get your hands dirty. That's just plain stupid.

"If you do survive you get 100,000,000 dollars cash and more respect and honor than you can ever hope to achieve while living a normal life. And if you're already rich and powerful the least you will get out of this is excitement." I can tell that last part was meant for me and Dill and I smiled. "For those of you who wish to stay and try to survive please follow me into the back but for those of you who don't want to risk it, Bruno will show your way out."

A lot of people started for the door, and I wasn't really sure, but I didn't really think they were going to be allowed to leave.To think that they could simply leave was a bit stupid. No, scratch that. It's completely and utterly stupid. As we followed John, I looked around to see who stayed. They guy named Eric was quite the handsome man. Tall. Lean. Dark hair. Lightly tanned skin. He even had a little five O' clock shadow going on, which was a turn on for me. His obsidian eyes were a treat to look at. Yummy. I'd have to keep an eye on this one.

Then there was Cole Baxter. I'd seen in too many commercials to count. I found his "School for the strong sexually active" (S.S.S.A for short) quite interesting, though i'd never try it. I'd seen him around, so I knew what he was like. Loud, cocky, and arrogant. Sometimes it could be hot, but on him it was just down right ugly. He was good looking, though. I had to give him that. Dark auburn hair cut stylishly and a strong jaw. Muscular, with lightly tanned skin and veins that showed on his fore arms. Yea, he was a looker alright. He was just a huge dick too.

Next, Ten. Regular height. Kind of gangly looking. I could tell by just looking he wasn't all there in the head. In fact, if i'm right, which I usually am, he was an escapee from an asylum a few years back. He's actually on the FBI's most wanted for all of the people he's killed. Then there was Dill Rivanni. Dark hair and eyes to match. He had this air of sophistication and authority to him that made him seem older than he actually was. Most likely having to do with the fact that he was a mafia boss. I'd seen his name in a few newspapers and on Tv related lately. Something about murders and trafficking drugs. His eyes locked with mine and he raised an eye brow as if to say something. I didn't hold eye contact long enough to figure out what it was because I still hadn't finished scoping everyone out.

I looked over at the Brazilian. Long dark brown hair and skin tanned slightly darker then mine. I myself was part Brazilian on my mother's side. Cajun on my daddy's.If you listened closely to the way I talked, you'd be able to notice my slight accented. And when I get pissed it becomes more pronounced. You think i'd swear in Portuguese, but no. Depending on how pissed I get, i'd swear in mandarin or Japanese. Imagine that. A Brazilian accent mixed with Asian languages. And when I get excited, the Cajun in my voice rings quite clear. The first time I did it in front of Lini, she laughed so hard the soda she'd been drinking began pouring from her nose. I smiled at the memory.

Continuing, I turned my sights to the short and slim Vietnamese woman who was also watching me. Long dark hair and pointed nose with dark honey colored eyes scanned mine intently. I looked over to the last person. A short fair skinned woman with hazel green eyes, and freckles across her nose and cheeks. I always loved that combination on a person. Especially freckles. I thought they were cute. She also happened to be a ginger with curls. Cool.

Just as I finish my assessment, a giant black van with all windows tinted pulls around front and the doors open up. Time to get this show on the road.

Spoiler! :
If a van's not what we're being transported in, then just give me a head up and i'll change it.
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:18 pm
Alvarin says...

Eric Gray
So, this group of people were going to be on the same team as me? It was an interesting bunch, I had tog give them that. Some of them I knew, some I didn't.

Dill, who my company had worked with on several occasions, and his pet Ten. Dill was reasonable enough, not too difficult to deal with. Ten on the other hand.. He could be a great asset or just an obstacle, depending on if I managed to get on his good side. If he even had a good side.

Cole Baxter, glaring at me like usual. No doubt he was jealous. If I knew him right, he was probably trying to convince himself that he was my equal just because he won the 'sexiest entrepreneur' title, forgetting that since I was employed at my fathers company I didn't count as an entrepreneur, and therefor couldn't have won the price despite being the better looking one of us. He was going to be hard to get along with, but I would try. And even if I failed I would make sure that everyone knew that it was because he was such an disagreeable man.

There was this little redhead who I couldn't recognize, and who clearly had no sense of tact, judging by her earlier comment.

I hadn't seen or heard about the Vietnamese woman her before, but her watchful eyes could be dangerous if I was going to pretend to be nice. I always had a hard time with observant people, since they noticed the blood lust in my eyes that others missed.

The Latino girl hadn't said much yet, and to be honest she didn't look too dangerous. Of course, looks could deceive, and I was a great example of that. Sometimes I almost expected to find a monstrous portrait of myself hidden in the attic. A portrait showing all my sins so that my face wouldn't.

The fourth girl.. She looked good. Good and dangerous. There was a strength in her eyes that no doubt was matched by her skills. She could be useful. If I managed to get her to like me, she would be a great asset. Not that I needed help, but I didn't mind having a dangerous beauty on my side.

A bunch of people left after John's little speech. Idiots. They had been given the chance to lift their lives from mediocrity, and they just gave it up. How nice of Alfr to kill them before they could return to those despicable lives.

When we entered the office I wasn't surprised to see Alfr there with a smile that looked a bit too happy. While speaking he shook mine and the others' hands. And after that we all walked outside where a black van waited. I made sure to pick up my bag before I went outside. Wouldn't want to arrive without my guns now, would I?
Last edited by Alvarin on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:18 pm
Desticakes101 says...

Cole Baxter

It's really weird but...I just don't feel the need to speak right now. Usually i feel more than the need to speak and go out of my way to flaunt my success but...these people are all on my level. If not in wealth, than by beauty. And if not even by beauty, than passion. Which worried me to a certain degree. I mean I had no doubt in my mind that i could kill each and every one of them (except for that guy on the leash, he creeped me the hell out). My father, being the damn marine he was, put me through extensive training to be above and beyond the average person . From childhood right up into college. It was only when I dropped out and made the S.S.S.A did he finally give up on me. The funny thing is that my hand-to-hand and skill in all types of weaponry, are so advanced that I truly don't feel the need to brag about it. Let's just say that I have the ability to kill someone in less than thirty seconds in more than twenty ways.

No, what scared me was the look in some of their eyes. That crazy manic look in that guy, Ten's eyes. That excited glee in both Eric and Luna's eyes. That easy nonchallance in Dill's eyes. And that cold hard revenge seeking look in that vietnamese ladies eyes. The other two...i didn't know why they were here but I wasn't looking forward to finding out why. And then there's me. Someone who's here just to truly test out my prowess. To see how much blood i don't mind spilling. And I'm truly just scared of letting that cold hearted beast in me out. Because it's there in everyone, no matter how much they want to deny it.

As I buckle up in the van I frown at the interior and exterior. Come on. That guy Alfr has maybe as much money as myself, probably more, and he couldn't get us a damned limousine. I roll my eyes and decide to take a swig from my flask. Nineteen sixty three jack daniels bourbon. The good stuff. It burns down my throat and i put a peice of peppermint gum in my mouth to avoid the after taste. Ugh, I hope that this ride isn't long because I can already feel myself disliking everyone around me.
life is a beach (*chuckle chuckle* get it lol)

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:51 pm
LiteraryVenom says...

Belle Young

Why'd they even come? Is all I could think as I watched a good number of the gathered people walk toward the door. Would he really let them leave after hearing what little they had? I wasn't sure, but it wasn't my concern. I was staying.

I followed a few others into another room in the house - and office belonging to the man who had addressed us all not long before. I took a quick glance at the others who had entered. Curious bunch, that much was sure. A team made up of the lot of us would be something that I wasn't sure I would like to go up against.

Not long later, a van pulls up, and I grabbed my bag off the floor in the main room where I had dropped it and followed the rest outside. I took a seat in the back, nudged into a corner with the corduroy backpack perched on my lap. While I wasn't normally a quiet person, I figured now would be the time to observe. I already had one of the group at my throat - Ten, the little nutcase with the collar - and I didn't want another one to have a grudge.

There was only one other person who caught my eye - Eric, I think his name was. Eric Gray. The name had sounded familiar. He came off as a snooty rich guy, and I didn't like him already. But what could I do? I'd have to rely on this group - this was a matter of life or death, after all.
I have to write. I have to write the same way I have to eat, the same way I have to breathe. It's like life to me. I have no idea where I'd be if I didn't do what I do.

49 Reviews

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:54 pm
thestorygirl says...

Carmen Sato

We were in the van. I didn't want to speak, no one was speaking actually, save Ten and Dill who were speaking in hushed tones. I try to look out the window, but it gets to dark for me to see as we leave the city; I try to read the road signs but I couldn't even tell what state we were in anymore.

When the fog descended and the headlights couldn't even penetrate the air ten feet in front of it I decided to look at the people inside the van. Dill and Ten seemed like dangerous enemies and useful allies. Dill had this air of self confidence. It made sense that he controlled Ten, who seemed like the clouds before a thunderstorm, ready to break open at any second; unstable.

Belle seemed nice, and she cracked me up, especially with that pickle comment. I hadn't shown it, not really wanting to make anyone very mad. She seemed like one of those people who was hiding something, something dangerous.

Halia was someone I automatically had respect for. I'd known people like her when I was younger and going to public school and they were the crowd I tended to hang around.

Cole Baxter was typically douchey, and I had no respect for him other then his business skills. Sure he was good looking but it really had no effect on me. He hadn't done anything to me though so I didn't really hate him. I guess I would just see how all of this plays out.

Luna, now Luna was probably the the person here who if in a fight I would choose to back me up. She was literally covered in weapons and she was well muscled. I'd been to her gym before, me and my friend had invited my brother who had betted he could beat me and her in a fight. My side had won, but I had in the process seen a pair of ornamental hookswords on the wall and bought them off of Luna. My family had trained with them back in Vietnam.

Eric Gray looked off the wall crazy to me. Not like Ten crazy, it was scary, but Eric just gave me the creeps. I had decided just to avoid him altogether.

Now me, I had no idea how I was going to fit in with all of these fighters here. Most of them worked for the mob or had trained in martial arts. I blew things up for a living. If anyone was going to die it was going to be me. I knew I was probably smarter then most of the people here. I was in MENSA, but these people knew how to fight. I could talk about fighting and strategies, but I was no fighter.

What the hell had I gotten myself into?
Nella vita vi è la distruzione, desolazione nella morte, ma c'è speranza nella rivoluzione.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:28 pm
Sassafras says...

Ten Sauna/Dill Rivanni

Dill

Bruno ushered us all to the van and I frowned at the mediocre form of transport.

"Couldn't have held out for a more comfortable for of transport," I inquired. He looked over at me and smirked in a way that made Ten excited.

"Lotta money went inter dese games, and you'd be surprised jus what that van cun do. Dun worry bout it."

I nodded and led Ten out the door. Upon entering the surprisingly spacious van, Ten and I took a seat in a far corner, and I wasted no time gathering his attention before it wandered elsewhere - as it has been known to do. I grabbed his chin in my hand and turned his head to look at me just as it was straying away to watch the others entering. His deep black eyes meet mine and I smile.

"Tell me the rules again."

He rolls his eyes and ticks off a finger as he lists each of them.

"Listen to everything you say, even if I don't want to. No leaving without permission. No letting London out unless you say it's okay. No taking off the collar." He trails off and stares down at his four fingers. I wait patiently as he thinks of the last rule. "And... um..."

"No killing our teammates," I finish for him, frowning slightly.

He smiles brightly at me, showing all of his bright teeth, and let's out a laugh that seems inappropriate for the discussion topic, but it makes me laugh too anyway. Ten had the kind of laugh where you couldn't help smiling at the way it was so free, like a child's if you weren't close enough to know exactly what he was laughing about.

"Oh yeah. That too."

"Okay, that's good. Remember that, okay, remember your rules."

"I'll remember," he replied, much in the way a teenager would to an overprotective parent. I couldn't help smoothing his fly-away strands of hair back in place and fixing his shirt collar. He groaned, but didn't pull away.

"This is not a game, Ten, you ha-"

"Alfr said it was. A game, he said it was one."

"Well Alfr lied. This is serious business. The people where we're going will be harder to kill than the jobs you get back home. They're not dumb lackies of a Boss or even like a Boss. They're smarter, they've been training. Alfr knew what he was doing when he picked the people for us to fight against."

"They can't be that hard, Dill. They're just humans."

With that he turned away, saw the amount of people piled into the back of the van, and shrunk back into my side, his gaze at his lap, and fiddling with his fingers. I reached into my pocket and took out a PSP and handed it to him so he had something to do to distract himself from the situation. As soon as I knew he was occupied I turned towards the rest of the team.

"So, let's talk strategy, yeah? Who's good at what? We need to know these things before we're dropped off."

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:45 am
View Likes
Alvarin says...

Eric Gray
"So, let's talk strategy, yeah? Who's good at what? We need to know these things before we're dropped off."

Since no one said anything immediately, I decided to start. "I'm a good shot. Can kill a deer at a distance of 1,5 miles. The world record is 1,7 but I'm getting there. If you get in some kind of trouble while fighting I'll back you up from afar. The other team wont even know what hit them." Some of my fellow teammates looked impressed, which made me smile slightly. "And except for my rifle I also brought two smaller semi-automatic guns with me, in case anyone gets too close. I'm afraid I'm not much use in a close fight." That last sentence was lie, but I didn't have to reveal all my tricks now, did I?

"What rifle do you use?" I looked at the Latino girl. That's when I noticed her. She didn't look dangerous, but she was definitely smart.

"A Barrett XM500."

"I thought that was still in development." She didn't say it with the passion that you'd expect from a collector or an enthusiast, so I assumed that she had read it somewhere and memorized it.

"It is, but I have contacts. Oh, and I brought some different scopes with me, so darkness will not be a problem. And I don't know how much use it'll be, but I've got wicked skills when it comes to wilderness survival." I laughed, not loudly, but reassuringly, to show that I really did know what I was talking about. I wanted them to trust me.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

49 Reviews

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:18 am
thestorygirl says...

Carmen Sato

Eric listed off his accomplishments, it seemed like he was bragging, though if what he said was true he had a lot to feel accomplished about. While no one else seemed to want to spill the beans about their many hidden talents I decided I'd take the liberty of doing it myself.

"I'm a pyrotechnics expert."

Some people gave me looks. "Explosives," Dill answered for me.

"I can make bombs out of most everything and I can neutralize every categorized type of explosive." I paused for a second. "Meaning if I can get a hold on our enemy's guns I can make it so they can't shoot."

Hopefully right now people were starting to see me as an asset instead of a liability.

"Can you fight?" Cole looked unimpressed, apparently I wasn't living up to his standards.

"I have a pair of hookswords I'm proficient at."

Luna looked up. "I remember you. I sold you a pair about a year or so ago," looking around the van she added,"She isn't half bad."

"Anyone else?" Eric looked around.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:50 pm
View Likes
LiteraryVenom says...

Belle Young

"Anyone else?" Eric said.

I'd hardly been listening, but I'd heard enough to know what they were talking about. Skills? I'd learned a few things.

Since no one else spoke up, I sat up in my seat and cleared my throat.

"Close combat, namely whips and knives, are my specialty. I can shoot, but not as well as Mr. Hot-Shot over there, obviously." I couldn't help but shoot him a snarky little glance. God, he bothered me. Something about him just came off as overly smug, full-of-himself and altogether slimy. "I also have some knowledge concerning venoms, as well survival and acting skills to boot. You learn a lot when you live off of nothing."

I leaned back in my seat, satisfied with my two-cents. Eric just had to pipe up, though.

"Acting skills? How exactly are your acting skills supposed to help us win a death match?"

I rolled my eyes.

"Think about it, pretty boy. Do you have any idea how tricky an actress can be? I'm here to get under their skin." I smirked. He still looked skeptical.

"Someone's not the brightest crayon in the box..." I muttered under my breath, much too quiet for him to hear.

I have writer's block. I can't write. It is the will of the gods. Now, I must alphabetize my spice rack.
— Neil Gaiman