20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:24 am
View Likes
Pamplemousse says...

MY FIRST MATH LESSON <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, time for your lesson in Simple Equations! :D

Let me start off by breaking down the components of a simple equation.

Take for example, 4x + 5 = 13. The 4 is called the coefficient, which means the number(s) that multiplies the x (or any other letter a-z), which is called a variable, which means a number that is not yet known. The + is called an operator, which can be +,-,*(multiply), or /. The 5 and 13 are called constants, which are numbers that stand alone. (They're so lonely!).

Anyways... A simple equation is a monomial (take for example, 4x) and a constant (5) that are added, subtracted, multiplied, or divided with/by each other, that equal another constant (13). The variable has to equal a certain number or else the equation will be incorrect.

For example, with 4x + 5 = 13, x would have to equal 2 because 4*2=8 and 8+5=13.

So, how did I get to x=2? I'm going to tell you. c:

Once again, take for example 4x + 5 = 13. The first thing you would do is subtract 5 from 5 and 5 from 13, which would give you 4x = 8. Next, you would divide 4x by 4 and 8 by 4, which gives you x = 2.

To check your answer, you plug in what you got for x into wherever you see an x. So, for 4x + 5 = 13, you would plug in 2 for x, which would give you 4(2) + 5 = 13, which would give you 8 + 5 = 13, which gives you 13 = 13!

Something to remember: If it were to be 4x - 5 = 13, you would add 5 to 13, if it were to be 4x * 5 = 13, you would divide 13 by 5 (which gives you like... 2.6), and if it were to be 4x / 5 = 13, you would multiply 13 by 5.

That's basically it! Time for some examples!

Example 1: ~~~ Check 1:
5x - 2 = 18 ~~~ 5(4) - 2 = 18
Add 2 to 18 ~~ 20 - 2 = 18
5x = 20 ~~~~~~ 18 = 18
Divide by 5
x = 4

Example 2: ~~~~~ Check 2:
3x / 4 = 6 ~~~~~~ 3(8) / 4 = 6
Multiply 6 by 4 ~~ 24 / 4 = 6
3x = 24 ~~~~~~~~ 6 = 6
Divide 24 by 3
x = 8

I really hope this helped!

Love,
~Lati
“Admire my gaytime in the mist of purple~” -lostthought, 2015.
~~~~~~~~~~~Usernames~~~~~~~~~~~
Pamplemousse (4/16/14-Now)
Lateritic (8/21/13-4/16/14)
Kittyz101 (3/11/13-8/21/13)

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.
— RazorSharpPencil