Chemistry Burns

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon May 15, 2006 1:20 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Uh...I have no idea how to balance equations...No matter how hard I try. :(

For example:

Sc + HBr --> ScBr3 + H2

Sorry about the lack of subscripts, but there aren't any coefficients in this particular one anyway...

Can anyone help?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon May 15, 2006 1:33 am
View Likes
Sammi D says...

I think I can! But please don't harbor any resentment if I actually don't have it right -- but it's worth a shot anyway!

Sc + HBr --> ScBr3 + H2

See how there are 3 Br's on the right side? In order to balance it, there must be 3 Br's on the other side. So you add a 3 as a coefficient to the HBr on the left side, to get 3 Br's. So it becomes:

Sc + 3HBr --> ScBr3 + H2

Since the 3HBr also makes 3 H's, you need to make it so the H on the right side is equal. However, there are already 2 H's there, and you can only add a co-efficient. So what you do, is you put a 3 in front of the H2 so it creates 6 H's. Then, you go back to the right side and change the 3HBr to the 6Hbr so the H's are balanced.

Sc + 6HBr --> ScBr3 + 3H2

Then, to balance the Br's on the right side, you put a 2 in front of the ScBr3. Then, it becomes:

Sc + 6HBr --> 2ScBr3 + 3H2

Then, to finish it off, you put a 2 before the Sc on the left side, so its balanced with the one on the right. So your final balanced equation is:

2Sc +6HBr --> 2ScBr3 + 3H2

When you look at the balanced equation, you can see that there is the same amount of each element on both the left and right side. :) Hope I helped! Chemistry isn't my strongest subject, but balancing equations is something I'm fairly decent at.

-Sam
"I guess you didn't know it but I'm a fiddle player, too. And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll
make a bet with you."

- Charlie Daniel's Band, The Devil Went Down to Georgia

[Avatar Credit: DoubleTrouble__ on Livejournal.com]

- Sammi D -

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon May 15, 2006 2:30 am
View Likes
Doctor Kitty says...

Hey, thanks. I got that same answer after I knocked it around in my brain for half an hour...

Now just 7 more to go. :(

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon May 15, 2006 3:01 am
View Likes
Sammi D says...

Eep, sounds like a joy. >.< I know the horrors of Chemistry homework as well.

Good luck!
"I guess you didn't know it but I'm a fiddle player, too. And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll
make a bet with you."

- Charlie Daniel's Band, The Devil Went Down to Georgia

[Avatar Credit: DoubleTrouble__ on Livejournal.com]

- Sammi D -

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:10 am
Shine says...

My head goes round and round when I find loads of equation based questions in my chemistry tests.
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:10 pm
View Likes
Cassandra says...

Eww. I hate balancing equations. :?

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien