z

Young Writers Society

Good note taking starategies

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:51 pm
View Likes
Idraax says...

Anyone know any good note taking strategies? I'm doing a lot of reading in uni and just trying to pull out the important information isn't really working.
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

A bit more information on your note-taking difficulties would be helpful.

Anyway, one thing you can try is summarizing the main ideas by paragraph as you read along. Once you've finished that for the section, run through the text again before you go back and summarize the summaries. Eventually, you'll wind up with the most basic ideas of that section as a whole. Then, go back through the text again and add sub-points to the main ideas until you wind up with an outline of the reading.

Doing so will not only net you a nice study guide, but you'll have read the text multiple times and so will be more likely to remember the details of its contents.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

100 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:14 pm
View Likes
Idraax says...

For my Linguistics textbooks, they give a lot of examples and not too many terms. For my Archaeology textbook they give more examples than terms and all of my Women's History texts are primary sources.
Alezrani

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:24 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

What are the examples examples of? Note it.

What common threads do the excerpts share? Why have they been compiled together and in such a way? Note.

Those are your main ideas. Once you have them down, you can go back and add some explanation/details about the examples.

Another option would be to go by example/excerpt, following the steps I outlined earlier.

Also, remember that terms are not as important as understanding the basic concepts, themes, or ideas that lie behind the terms. Focus on learning the concepts behind the terms rather than just the terms themselves.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

100 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:27 pm
View Likes
Idraax says...

Ok, I'll try that.
Alezrani

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:47 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

What works for me is exploring the basic concepts through thought applied examples (that I create) and cross-referencing stuff they're discussing with things I already know. I'll also start actively remembering everything that connects to what I'm learning about to better remember it.

But, that being said, I tend to need a lot of examples to remember everything. The more reference points I mentally make, the better I remember things.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:07 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

What works for me is drawing a ton of arrows and subpoints for each main topic. I like to have these giant connection webs in my notes.

I mostly fail at citing examples, so what I do is create a sort of mnemonic or something that makes sense in my head.

Also; while taking notes from a book, I ONLY write down the main topic, a couple of key points and examples.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

100 Reviews

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:52 pm
View Likes
Idraax says...

That is sort of what I do already for Anthropology. Ling is a little harder and I don't think it'll work for Ling.
Alezrani

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:42 am
View Likes
ShadowKnight155 says...

Well, I doubt I'll help as I'm 13, but learning seems to based on focus. Be interested in it, and want to learn it. Visualize in your head(regardless how arbitrary of a thought). Associate it with things, and be broad, don't strain to remember specifics. Also, get the main idea first, just read through and skim like you don't care, then read it again. Maybe write down the main idea, but I wouldn't know, I've never studied in my life(but I have, don't mean to be conceited, a "natural talent", both my brothers, too).

If you must remember the specifics, don't remember "thoughts(audio)", remember pictures or something more physical, like the page in the book or your notes.

--Doubt I helped. :D
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

100 Reviews

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:39 pm
View Likes
Idraax says...

I can't really remember pictures for Ling because it's all words. Same with Anthro.
Alezrani

'Tis the season to shovel enormous amounts of watermelon into your mouth while hunched over the cutting board like a dehydrated vampire that hasn't fed on blood in four hundred years and the only viable substitute is this questionable Christmas-colored fruit.
— Ari11