z

Young Writers Society

Algebra one help!!!

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:34 pm
silverSUNLIGHTx says...

okay it's due tomorrow.
so here's a few problems that I need clarified.
please&thankyou.

Get the y by itself.
-3x+2y=2

x-4y=8

2x+y=-3
--->Don't forget we've got unfinished business. Stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold.
-Alex Gaskarth

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:59 pm
Dream Deep says...

Hey, Silver, let me see if I can help you out. I'm going to assume that your task is not only to get y on its own side of equality sign, but to solve for y as well.

-3x+2y=2

Okay so our first task, here, is to get the x value away from the y and across the equality sign. To do this, we add 3x to both sides of the equation (remember that, on the y side, we're trying to bring x to zero).

-3x+3x+2y=2+3x
0x+2y=2+3x
2y=2+3x

We still need to rid of the lefthand 2, in order to achieve a lonely y, and so we divide both sides of the equation by that value: 2.

2y/2=2/2+3x/2

The 2's on the lefthand side cancel out to leave y, and we simplify the righthand fractions.

y=1+3x/2

x-4y=8

Same thing here, but because x is positive, we are going to subtract it. Recall that a lone variable is considered to have a numerical value of 1.

x-x-4y=8-x
0x-4y=8-x
-4y=8-x
-4y/-4=8/-4-(x/-4)
y=-2+x/4

(Two negatives equal a positive, so -x/-4 becomes x/4.)

2x+y=-3

2x-2x+y=-3-2x
0x+y=-3-2x
y=-3-2x

. . .

Easy peasy, right? If you have any questions, or if I have left anything unclear, feel free to PM. ^_^

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:58 pm
View Likes
Matt3187 says...

yea pretty much what was said above

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien