z

Young Writers Society

choral music lyrics

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:09 am
View Likes
Flemzo says...

my assignment for music theory over break was to write a 40-measure choral piece by the time we came back from break, which is january 3rd. this is usually fine, since the last two composition assignments i did in less than ten minutes. however, i think my muse took a vacation with my theory teacher in cancun, because i haven't been able to think of anything, lyric or music wise.

i'm thinking that i can't think of any music because i can't think of any lyrics. I'm searching through my Bible (because many lyrics to choral pieces are either inspired by or come directly from the Bible), but I haven't been able to find anything.

any help is greatly appreciated. I just need something short, in english (if it's appropriate) or latin (if it's not).

163 Reviews

Reviews: 163
Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:33 am
Kit says...

I always find Requiems evocative as choral music, especially Faure's Requiem, and Bach's chorales. But if you want a lateral kind of influence, check out Sarah Hopkins' choral music. And I know in music theory, you study the rules of harmonization but really now in composition it's accepted that if it sounds good, do it.
Princess of Parataxis, Mistress of Manichean McGuffins

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:53 am
Flemzo says...

as much as i agree with you, my theory teacher is a strict "follow the rules first" kind of teacher, so I have to follow harmonization, passing 6/4's etc etc. I'll check out some faure and bach before i leave work today

163 Reviews

Reviews: 163
Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:12 am
View Likes
Kit says...

Hey, have you ever done Scrap choral works, you know, when everyone learns something then puts it together in a day? I'm doing scrap Carmina Burana next year, it'll be awesome.
Princess of Parataxis, Mistress of Manichean McGuffins

I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts.
— Orson Welles