Young Writers Society

Ionic Equasions

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:18 am
View Likes
tinny says...

One thing in chemistry I've never been able to get my head around is ionic equasions, I don't see how they work. I mean, I'm told to only use the ions involved in the reactions and leave out spectator ions, but how do I tell which is which?

I know that they're similar to half-equasions in REDOX reactions, but I'm not sure if I fully understand them either XD

If anyone could explain it to me in simple terms it would be greatly appreciated.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:16 pm
Emerson says...

ionic equations...?

I don't think I've done these. Yet. Possibly. XD Could I be given an example? Because I might actually know what you are talking about... not know it.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:23 pm
tinny says...

I was meant to have done them last year, and the year before and hadn't a clue either time, goodness knows how I did so well in my exam XD

The question I was given that made me realise I didn't know was 'Work out the ionic equasion for the complete neutralisation of sulphuric acid by potassium hydroxide.'

An example? There's one in my revision guide, but it's not explained -___-"

That was

Cr2O72- + H+ + e- ----> Cr3+ + H2O

But there wasn't a full equasion for me to compare it to, so it made no sense to me XD
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind