z

Young Writers Society

I'm trying to be funny, but...

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:59 pm
View Likes
Flemzo says...

Hey guys. This really isn't homework, but it does deal with school, so I guess it goes here.

The speech season is about to start. I have my poetry piece picked out for this year ("How To Watch Your Brother Die", by Michael Lassell), but, unfortunately, that is not my main area of competition.

This will be my fourth year in Humorous Interp, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding a piece to work with. At one point, I thought I had it narrowed down to "The Ransom of Red Chief" by O. Henry, but then I started reading some David Sedaris, and narrowed it "down" to four possible pieces. Now I'm not too hyped up about Sedaris or Henry anymore, and am looking for other possible pieces.

The only criteria I need to meet are:
  • The piece (including written, original intro) must be between 6-8 minutes. I can cut stuff out if the piece is too long.
  • It must be a published work, because an ISBN is required if I want to compete in an NFL qualifying tournament.
  • It must be relatively free from profanity (meaning that, if there is profanity in the piece, it has to be easy to change or omit).

The season starts in late January, but I'd like to have my humor piece, as well as my poetry piece, memorized before our first tournament, a two-day "baptism-by-fire".

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:38 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Wait... is this going to be a poetry piece or...?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:42 am
View Likes
Gadi. says...

Oh! I read the Red Ransom of the Chief or whatever, and it wasn't THAT funny. I mean, it was kind of comical, but these days the idea of people in pain is too overrated. Seriously.

Anyhow, try "The Landlady" by Roald Dahl. It's ironic, not TOO funny, but I thought it was funnier than the Ransom one.

Maybe you could do an exceprt from some really funny book...like Bridget Jones's Diary, etc. etc. ?
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:41 am
View Likes
Flemzo says...

Snoink wrote:Wait... is this going to be a poetry piece or...?

Poetry obviously has to be a poem, and it has to have serious subject matter (the common theme is rape or dead babies, so a poetry piece on dealing with a brother dying of AIDS is a fresh change of pace).

Humorous Interp can either be poem or prose. I, as well as other competitors, commonly go with prose pieces, because they seem to tell a story better than just a funny poem. So, yeah, to clarify, I'm looking for a Humorous Interp piece in prose format.

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
— Sigmund Freud