z

Young Writers Society

Here's one you YWSers will love: Find me some poetry!

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:50 pm
View Likes
Cade says...

For my Creative Writing class, I have to paste 10 poems in my journal and respond to each one. I'm wondering if you guys have any favorite works you think I should read and write about in this journal. Obviously, no stuff from on here, it has to be published and legit and all.

I don't want:
-Poetry that is very difficult to interpret/understand without sounding like an idiot.
-Really long poems. Use your common sense. It's a regular composition notebook and I don't want to fill up more than two pages pasting a poem in.
-Highly experimental stuff.

Links would be appreciated! I have to hand this in on February 16th.
Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:52 pm
sabradan says...

"Tourists" by Yehuda Amichai
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:50 am
Meshugenah says...

Robert Frost! Fire and Ice is awesome.. The Road Less Traveled, I think is the other one I'm thinking of by Frost.

Annable Lee -- Poe! That's a good one, but a bit long. Actually, almost anything Poe.

Tennyson is good, too.

Want something completely differeny? Casey at the Bat (don't remember who wrote it) baseball poem! From a huge baseball nut. What else, what else... I can think of more, if you want!

And Shakespeare! Gah, can't forget the Bard, can we? Just do a search for Spakeaspeare and sonnets -- you'll get tons. Pick and choose!

A friend loves Sylvia Path... only read one or two of her poems, but what I've read was awesome.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:55 am
sabradan says...

Casey at the bat is a great poem!

What kind of poetry are you looking for? That will enable me to help you better. (i.e. time periods, subject matter, the like)
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:00 am
LowKey says...

[url]www.shadowpoetry.com[/url] has some good ones.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:15 pm
Myth says...

cadmium wrote:I don't want:
-Poetry that is very difficult to interpret/understand without sounding like an idiot.
-Really long poems. Use your common sense. It's a regular composition notebook and I don't want to fill up more than two pages pasting a poem in.
-Highly experimental stuff.

I was going to suggest Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky, it is fun to read especially the strange words. I always loved the words Bandersnatch and manxome.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

758 Reviews

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:51 pm
Cade says...

Oh, Lewis Carroll.
I'm not looking for any specific type, I just don't really want to see old stuff that's super-long and hard to just read. As in, no Paradise Lost.

Thanks, all!
Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:00 am
Chandni says...

http://www.rosabelleilles.com/preview4.htm

Might want to look, highly enjoyable :)

Cheerios, Chandni
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:33 am
Trident says...

The History Teacher by Billy Collins

Don't have a link, sorry.
Perception is everything.

758 Reviews

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:58 am
Cade says...

*hugs Trident* I love Billy Collins. I do believe I've read that one. 'Tis good.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:17 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

Shel Silverstein has some good/funny poems. I liked one of his poems called "Homemade Boat".

Um...I don't know what else is out there besides what has already been said, since I don't really read poetry.

Oh I know, how about the Odyssey? *Is joking* That would take for ever to paste or copy in a journal/notebook.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:53 pm
chocolatechipmuffin says...

I love Robert Frost, he would be great...try "On Going Unnoticed," it's a study of the grandeur of the forest, and man's place in the world. Also, William Blake, who's kind of old, but wrote simplistic poems, mostly about nature. I like his Introduction to Songs of Innocence, and "The Tyger" and "The Lamb"
Quote from Blake's Introduction to Songs of Innocence:
"Piper sit thee down and write
in a book that all may read-
So he vanish'd from my sight.
And I pluck'd a hollow reed.

And I made a rural pen,
And I stain'd the water clear,
And I wrote my happy songs,
Every child may joy to hear."
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
~Solomon Short

"We are all of us living in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
~Oscar Wilde

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:19 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Some of Emily Dickenson's work isn't that bad (I think that's how you spell her last name). I like Longfellow's work, though that might be too long.....
ohmeohmy

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:32 am
Aet Lindling says...

Yes, that is indeed how you spell her name.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:40 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

There's this one poem I vaguely remember. I think it's called "Auntie's Skirts"? Anyway, I seem to remember that it was only like five lines long...but it was a while ago...
ohmeohmy

I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good... then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor - such is my idea of happiness.
— Leo Tolstoy