z

Young Writers Society

Great Potato Famine

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:16 am
View Likes
Wiggy says...

Hey everyone! I'm writing a novel in the Great Potato Famine in Ireland, and since it's historical fiction, I obviously want all my facts straight. ^_^ Does anyone have any useful sites or any info about it? That would be great because I'd really like to get a lot of research done for this. Thanks again!

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:09 am
Sam says...

I don't know many straight facts, but the book 'Nory Ryan's Song' by Patricia Reilly Giff might offer some perspective.

It's easier to learn through a good story, no?
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 99
Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:51 am
Niamh says...

I'm a potato famine book myself. J/K. I looove the history of the famine. I'm actually writing a story about it too, but it's been on hold lately. For books, I'll suggest Black Potatoes by Susan Campbell Bartoletti. It's very comprehensive and easy to read, with sections from real newspapers. I've also recently recieved Paddy's Lament by Thomas Gallagher.

As for websites:

http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistor ... index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Pota ... (1845-1849)

But beware of what you read on websites. I've come across some highly innacurate information on a few sites.

If there's anything I can help you with, I'll be more than happy to do so. I really cannot wait to read your story! Good luck!
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself." -- Declaration of Arbroath

402 Reviews

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:45 am
Wiggy says...

Niamh-you are my new best friend. OMG thank you soooooo much! Yeah another potato fanatic freak like me!!!!1 *cheers* Actually, I checked out Black Potatoes from the library and some other book that I can't remember (View of the Famine I think it's called). I'll have to check out those websites. What's your story called? I can't wait to read it either! :D
Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie

Got YWS?

402 Reviews

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:52 pm
Wiggy says...

Thank you for your suggestions everyone. In the back of Black Potatoes there's a BUNCH of resources I can check out, and plus it had some info I didn't know where to find. Thanks all!

Got YWS?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:56 pm
Fishr says...

I... Well... I am not sure if either will help but there's the Library of Congress (http://rs6.loc.gov/ammem/index.html) (my personal favorite) and the (http://rs6.loc.gov/ammem/collections/continental/) Continental Congress. You can access either site, and open up all kinds of archives and historical websites.

EDIT: The forum is currently giving me problems. You'll have to copy and paste the links. Sorry.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory