z

Young Writers Society

Would this work?

Reviews: 4
Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:04 pm
JOV97 says...

Hi

I'm currently writing the second draft of a novel I've been working on for just over a year. I recently decided - and this is very out of character for me - to add a new dynamic to the relationships of the novel. The reason I'm here is to ask your thoughts - do you think it would work, or do you think it would detract from the mystery of the novel and where its characters would end up.

First of all, let me fill you in on some background detail. This book is set to be the first of three. It begins with a boy we could refer to as Character X, a fifteen year old living in a drab, gothic orphanage after the death of his father some nine years ago. Near the beginning of the novel, we introduce Character Y, a boy of the same age and similar predicament who ends up befriending Character X and so becomes a key character of the story.
Not so long after this point, both characters find they have been summoned to earth's twin planet, inhabited by humanoid-aliens whose job is to keep our planet on a strict schedule or plan, if you will. This may involve such things as ensuring somebody gets to work on time or even minuscule things such as turning right as opposed to left, such things which can have a "butterfly effect". This schedule is contained in one giant, never-ending document.
Character X and Y, when they arrive on this planet, meet a girl of the same age, Character Z, who character Y instantly connects with. Character Z reciprocates these feelings. Towards the end of the novel, Character X and Z discover the master copy of the "schedule" only to find that, at some point in the future, they will end up indefinitely married, a fate they both find hard to come to terms with (but eventually turns out to be true).

Sorry for such a long post. So, do you think this would add an interesting dynamic to the characters, or do you think this revelation could detract from the mystery of the novel?

Thanks! :D
You're my favourite.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:38 pm
Wolferion says...

I believe your question is too vague to be easily answered. Whether or not it lowers the mystery of the novel depends on where the focus of the story is and just how you write the story, because you might as well start with something like a revelation off the bat, yet manage to make the story impressive. To add or not to add eventually ends up at your own skill of writing and wit.
~Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you'll never get anything~
-Formerly Shinda

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:27 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Okay, so Jov, firtsly, the story really confused me. Don't worry, I think it's all about the quick synopsis wherein the two kids just appeared on a twin planet somewhere in the galaxy. And also dynamic; I really don't know why you used the term :D

So, here's the real thing: the mystery of a novel is not about keeping a lot of it secret, it's all about keeping in tune a bigger surprise hinted all throughout the piece. Something like that. Giving out the information about the marriage CAN build up a better foundation for secrets and mysteries to stand on OR just break the whole darn sense of the story. This depends on how you present the information. See, the revelation can indefinitely raise the impact to the readers (I believe--because if it is like that, I will be), but that depends on how you write it.

Here's the deal: I think the 'dynamic' you speak of won't hurt the mystery so much, but it can affect the relevance of the themes of the piece. Just be careful on writing if you plan to do it. But for me, I'll add it up.

Good luck writing!

Your pal
Al :D
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:40 pm
EloquentDragon says...

Why would it detract/distract?

It's called a subplot, and romance is usually the most used subplot of all.
That being said, go ahead and set up the love triangle between X Y and Z, but try to give the main plot line more screen time. That is, emphasize the whole save-master-plan-earth-twinearth thing, but give us some character tension on the side. It's a great tool to add suspense, and many authors, successfful and not so successful alike, use it extensively.

So, try not to fall to cliches, that would be my only point.

Otherwise, it seems to me like you're trying too hard w/ the plot. Don't force it, ideas come when you least expect it. Try to develope your characters first, then worry about scenarios.

Good luck too, hard to grasp concept stories like yours are well, hard to grasp, and take extra effort to get the reader reading.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

Time is not your best friend - unless you use it wisely.
— Marco Pierre White