z

Young Writers Society

Setting

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:38 pm
babymagic18 says...

Alright. So I am starting work on a young adult novel which will be themed about witches set in today's time. The usual good against evil, yada yada yada. I am conflicted on where to place setting for it though. I was thinking someplace that was dense with tree life and some area's of water surrounding. But does anyone know of such an area I could use? It also has to be a place that looks really fantastic in the spring.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:41 pm
Rosendorn says...

What country are you looking at? That'll determine a lot of finer points about your setting.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:01 am
Lauren2010 says...

Just invent one that fits the geographic area (country, region, etc) that the story is based in. Many writers don't base their stories in real places, even if it's a story set in "our world". They take aspects of places they know and create an entirely fictional location that fits their needs/ideas. It also gives you a lot more versatility to add/subtract features should the scope of the story change as you write.
Got YWS?

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:48 pm
EloquentDragon says...

Well if you're talking about the good ol' US here...
The Appalachian Mtns. are a good bet...or just outside of it. They have (in some areas) temperate/warm summers with lots of tree growth. (Ever see, "Where the Red Fern Grows"?)
Plus, those mountains actually have a history on witchy-ness and witch craft, which you could look into.

As for England anything surrounding their old forests or stone hedge would probably work.
What area of the world are we talking about here, exactly?
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.
— Niels Bohr