z

Young Writers Society

Bad meets Good

Reviews: 0
Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:29 am
OokamiKitsune says...

I have been trying to figure out how to get the main character and the bad guy(girl) to meet. There is magic in the story but not teleport magic. The girl he likes has family issues (brother is in hospital) and he's alone.

Any suggestions on how I should have HER meet him! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
Every hello is the prologue to the knowing farewell, so make as many stories as you can:)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

With the very limited information you've provided, it's near impossible to give any suggestions. I do have a list of questions you can ask yourself to help, though:

1- Is the MC actively looking for the antagonist?
This determines whether or not your MC is going to go out of her way to meet the antagonist, or if it will be because of external forces.

2- Is the antagonist actively looking or the MC?
This determines if one of the external forces is your antagonist, or if it's a "by chance" meeting.

3- (Only answer if answers to questions 1 and/or 2 is 'yes') What makes the MC and/or antagonist realize they need to find the other?
This gives you a point in the story they start hunting for the other. It's a rather critical point and will mark a turning point in the book: the story will become a manhunt, now.

4- What steps do they have to take to meet?
Is one hiding from the other? Do they live on other ends of the country, and a lot of travel is required? This is more of a general thing to explore all the possibilities and get you thinking. It can work whether or not it's a manhunt or accidental; if accidental, then you know how much plot to put before they meet.

5- What plot points happen before meeting?
Just so it's not a constant long chase, which tends to get boring. Can be used to horribly derail any plans cooked up in question 4.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:44 am
OokamiKitsune says...

The protagonist is looking for the MC by orders of her higher ups. Your questions helped a lot by the way
Every hello is the prologue to the knowing farewell, so make as many stories as you can:)

1272 Reviews

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:42 am
Rosendorn says...

So, if one side is hunting the other, a few more questions for you:

Does the other side know they're being chased (alternatively, at what point do they know they're being chased)? Are they hiding, or fighting every threat as it comes and escaping? What's the power difference between the two sides (Ie- how easy is it for them to track/capture)? What sort of preventative measures would the chased take to prevent being caught (if any)?

I'd also suggest to look into various manhunts throughout history. What sort of skills were involved, how the chased eluded their perusers, and what finally brought them to justice (if anything). While you'll have to adapt for magic, it gives you an idea what goes on in a chase. Especially applicable if one side has similar resources to the cops/FBI/[justice serving agency of choice] in terms of manpower and access to various records.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:45 am
OokamiKitsune says...

MC knows he is being looked for and hates them with all his breath- doesn't mind killing them. The MC and Protagonist are about equally matched. The protagonist that finds him is following orders but does NOT catch him, this time.

1272 Reviews

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:32 am
Rosendorn says...

You keep using the word "protagonist" to reference the guy chasing— do you mean antagonist? Protagonist is traditionally on the "good" side. (People often interchange protagonist and MC) Antagonist is often replaced with "villain", but they can be anybody opposing the MC.

Also, situational information/basic answering of the questions doesn't really help us, much. We don't know the technology, magic, government, or any other worldbuilding factors. I'm posing these questions so you can think about them and start building a plan based on what you know about the world.

To give an example how long a meeting between the protagonist and antagonist can last: At the rate I'm going, it'll take in the realm of 2/3 years book time for the first meeting (two books), and the realization there is a chase going on happens within the first 30k of book one.

That means I have a few years of plot, cat and mouse, character development, spats, ect, to get through before I have protagonist and antagonist meet. Part of this is because my antagonist is unknown at this point and some of the discovery goes towards finding who he is.

But, still. A manhunt can go on for a long time, and there are probably a few hundred variables for how they can meet. As I suggested before, looking at how manhunts go on in the real world can help a lot. If you spill the plot to this point, and what the world looks like, we might be able to provide ideas.

The most important thing is to have fun! Stress makes for distress and neither of those belong in writing!
— Kaia