z

Young Writers Society

Romance Novels

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:04 am
babymagic18 says...

What is is about the romance novels other than the obvious romance about them that makes them sell so well? I've been pondering this question all day, looking for that spark that I can bring to my own romance novel that I am currently impatient to get a start on. The only reason I haven't is that I can't find just the right opening scene for it. I have the goal of the story written out and visualized. So yeah, what makes for a really page turning romance?

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 pm
EloquentDragon says...

Romance *shivers* (not in the least my favorite genre, heh) I might be able to be of some help, but just by general observation. I don't actually read that much romance. ;)
Like any good story, the conflict is central, key. So in order to create a compelling conflict, you need compelling characters, and those characters need compelling (and logical) motivations. Very strong motivations. There needs to be an element of suspense to craft a "page turner," and suspense is created through drama (eesh) and conflict.
So, in a nutshell:
1. Compelling characters that the reader cares about. (Characters with motivation)
2. Conflict (who/what and why is there something that's blocking the protag. from achieving the goal?)
3. And finally, suspense. Created in conflict, characters, and the prose. Pacing, dialogue, plot twists/structure. It's what keeps em' reading.

Also, for romance, the genre usually involves the two getting together, some sort of seperation, and then either getting back together or tragically not. But in the end one or both characters grow.

Hope that helped (a little)
~ED
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:58 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

I think first and foremost romance tends to sell really well because at the end of the day it's something everyone can relate to. The vast majority of the world has been in love or had a broken heart or wanted someone without being able to have them or been cheated on or had to choose between two (or more) great people or had to fight for the person they love or really any other romance novel scenario. If not, the vast majority of the world fantasizes about love and this storybook, fantasy romance.

People like to feel validated or like they aren't alone in the world or that they can relate to someone that has already been through something they are going through. For those that are going through the rougher parts of love, they can read romance novels and feel validated and feel better in some ways to know that even though the characters aren't real and they are relating to mere ink on a page, that they are not alone and this character feels their plight.

On the flip side romance novels allow readers to dream and want something they may not have. They can inspire someone to take that next step and go after the guy or girl they really love, or tell that jerk how they feel, or forget their ex and move the heck on. They can show people the incredible feeling of love and inspire them to want a similar thing and go after similar, amazing guys or girls.

I think the most important thing in a romance novel is that it is relate-able. Not every single element of the novel has to be this way. I mean, let's look at Twilight. Love it or hate it, but it's still sold millions of copies so Stephenie Meyer has obviously done something right. Even though I think it's safe to assume no one is in the exact situation as Bella (dealing with vampires and werewolves) the story is still relate-able to readers. Most people can relate to the feeling of wanting someone and the frustration of not being able to have them, or being deeply in love with someone, or being afraid your father won't approve of your new boyfriend, or having your heart broken, or having your best friend develop feelings for you (and sort of developing them back), and having to choose between two guys that you love for different reasons.

At the end of the day, are readers going to love your characters? Are they going to cheer for the triumphs and cry for the pitfalls? Is the reader going to feel like they are there right along with your characters? Is the reader going to be able to put himself/herself in the shoes of your MC?

Description and voice and conflict will be your best friends.

Personally, when I write romance, I tend to find it easier to use touches of real life experiences. I'm not saying write your personal story, but if there is a guy/girl you really liked, why not use him/her to inspire a character? Why not take real feelings you've had and put them into a character?

Make it realistic. Make it relate-able. That's what I think makes a really great romance.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents!”
— Little Women