z

Young Writers Society

Basketball Scene

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:05 pm
View Likes
babymagic18 says...

I'm in need of assistance writing an interesting basketball scene. It's a championship game in High School so it has to be intense enough that I won't lose the readers attention. Now I'm not all that into sports but I think I could do a fairly good job of bluffing it and making it sound like I do. I have all the information on the sport I just preferably need a person that's into the sport to give me some pointers. What is the most anticipating part of the game for you?

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:36 pm
View Likes
DudeMcGuy says...

Well, I have coached 6-8th grade basketball and used to play in HS myself, so I am quite familiar with the game. It's also my favorite sport which I watch on a regular basis.

As far as most anticipating moment goes? Wow there are so many, tough to pick just one. I don't know how much basketball terminology you're familiar with, so just point out anything that is unclear.

The initial "Jump-ball" at the beginning of the game can be pretty intense for the players. "Nervous time" if you know what I mean. For the audience it's more exciting, but the players are nervous out there, especially the center jumping for the ball and the point guard bringing it up the court for the first time in the game. Butterfly's in the stomach to be sure.

There are many exciting moments within the game as well. When you get to the HS and college level, players are much better shooters and athletes. So there are many things that can happen. From a writing perspective, and to the common fan, Slam dunks, ally-oops, and three-pointers are typically the most exciting offensive plays. On defense, steals and blocked shots that lead to break-aways are exciting too, but not always common depending on the style of play.

When it comes to the end of the game, it may or may not be exciting at all. One team may be hopelessly behind (like 10 or more points with less than 2 min to go) and be forced to foul the other team to save time (which often only extends the lead and sends the fans for the exits if it's the home team that is behind).

But if it's a close game? Oh, boy. Nothing like it in sports. It's especially exciting if it's the home team that is making a comeback and the crowd is chanting "Defense!" "Defense!" all in unison. It's giving me goosebumps right now just thinking back to my old playing days. I've been in both positions, home and away.

Quick story to paint a picture for you:
I was a decent player, never the go to guy most of the time, but one night we were on the road and I was being defended by a shorter player for most of the game. For three and a half quarters I absolutely dominated the guy. I had like 22 points and 12 rebounds and we were winning by like 7-8 points. But then the opposing team hit a couple 3-pointers and the crowd started going nuts. I was the leading scorer in the game and they passed me the ball to score again with less than 3 minutes to go. But the guy guarding me was all of a sudden super confident despite his inability to really guard me very well. Everyone in the arena knew I had the advantage, The fans, the coaches, the players on and off the court. They were too afraid to double-team me either, because I was passing well and setting up my teammates for easy scores.

I stared him down and did a few jab-steps to see if he was jumpy, but he was absolutely unfazed. It was like it was a new game to him. The only way they were going to win was if he could stop me. I backed him under the basket and stepped up for my hook shot, and he blocked me, Hard. The guy was like 4-5 inches shorter than me and I was fading away and he still blocked it. I was stunned. The guy dove on the ball and ripped it away from my teammates as he called timeout to the refs.

The crowd went crazy for his hustle and gave him a standing ovation as he got high-fives from his bench. I was on the ground in disbelief. We never recovered and we lost the game. The reason I remember that night is because it taught me a lesson - The crowd doesn't play, but they can be the difference.

I am absolutely convinced that if we played in an empty gym we would have won. I would have continued to dominate that guy. But in that single moment he rose to the occasion because everyone in that arena was counting on him. Not every player can do that, but when they do it's one of the most incredible things in all of sports.

It may sound corny, but the crowd has some kind of energy or magic of some-kind. "Collective consciousness" or something. When you get that many people all together chanting with all their heart for something to happen, it's unreal. The people in the crowd don't even realize how much it impacts the players, but it does. Take it from me.

Anyway, I believe that was the answer to a question? Hahaha. Most anticipating moment? When the game is on the line! But that can happen on any given play late in the game. It doesn't always come down to 5 seconds to go. (although it's great when it does).

But the best part of the sport (to me at least) is that it's a team game. You can have the best player in the world, but if his teammates can't pull their own that team won't be great. The best part of a single game is when something unexpected happens (like me getting blocked). When the worst player on the court proves to the coach why he's on the floor, when he steps up to the challenge and makes the most important play of the game, and it's something that no one thought he could do. But that type of player usually can't do that without the crowd 100% behind him.

I better stop now before I keep rambling. Are you writing from a player, coach, or fan's perspective? Because I've been all three and I can tell you they are all completely different mind-sets and experiences. Let me know if you need more info.
When I was young I used to have problems finishing my sentences, but now I

"What is a poet? An unhappy person who hides deep anguish in his heart, but whose lips are so formed that when the sigh and cry pass through them, it sounds like lovely music."
— Søren Kierkegaard, Philosopher & Theologian