z

Young Writers Society

Dragon information needed!

Reviews: 3
Thu May 31, 2012 4:45 pm
DarkDaughter says...

Hi, I'm working on this idea which uses dragons, but I really need some help finding things out about them. I specifically need things about both nice and bad dragons, water vs fire dragons ETC I've found ones called Nagas but I've only found their names. I'm also extremely interesting in different Korean dragons. They are almost exactly what I'm looking for, I just haven't been able to find out much. Anything to do with these types, what they look like, behaviours, powers, anything would be really helpful. Thanks! :D
“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu May 31, 2012 5:24 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Firstly, Nagas are not dragons. They are multiheaded snakes without souls that control monsoons from India's myth. They can also be half human, half snakes (torso of a human, with usually snake-like features). Depends on your source (original myth is multiheaded snakes). Despite what sources like this tell you, they are not dragons.

Quick History

Dragon myths exist all over the world. The most two commonly known are European (which is the traditional huge, bat-winged, four legged creatures) and Chinese (which have long, snake-like bodies and some animal mix and match head).

Past that, details are just a bit up in the air.

Seriously, just look them up in the library. Or wikipedia. But, please, if you want accurate information about dragons, use books that have been fact checked. Lots and lots of books, too. Because dragons have cropped up in so many countries and time periods, there are a lot of variations.

Dragons are one of the few creatures that are rather literally "they are what you want them to be". Their mythology has been exploded with video games, books, movies, tv... you name it, dragons have been used.

Just make it up.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu May 31, 2012 6:11 pm
Johann says...

First of all you want to write a fantasy story so allow your mind to explore and invent. What Rosey said it 100% true and you can chose between the two main models that exist today.
I haven't read asian books so I can't tell you anything about how they picture dragons but in most western books with dragons that I read they were either huge, god-like, supreme creatures able to destroy anything they want or they were mighty parteners for knights but even in this case the dragons had to accept them, they were no pets. They also represent natural elements most of the times.

But as I said you are writing a fantasy story so although some research is required I wouldn't focus too much on existing model and instead I would try to create something unique.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu May 31, 2012 7:06 pm
View Likes
Stori says...

And nobody said they have to have scales, either. Pernese dragons have smooth hides, I think.

Reviews: 3
Thu May 31, 2012 7:51 pm
DarkDaughter says...

Those are all really good ideas! I haven't really thought much about just creating something completely new, I wanted to be as international as possible and use different dragons from different areas, but now I think about what Rosey said about Dragons being extremely exploited, so much so that you can't really tell originality from modern day imaginations, I'm beginning to get some new ideas.

I'm definitely keeping the Korean dragons with me still though, so again, any extra information on the myths and legends they are in would also be really appreciated!
“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu May 31, 2012 9:55 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Korean dragons= basically Chinese dragons with a little cultural flavour mixed in. Start there.

Also, Google and Wikipedia are your friend. Just type in what you want to know and they tend to provide (especially for very broad swaths of information).
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

I *do* like flipping tables.
— Faye Whitaker, Questionable Content