z

Young Writers Society

Stupid question

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon May 28, 2012 7:30 pm
View Likes
Johann says...

I have a question that might sound really stupid for others but I really need to know before I start writing stories for serios.
My question is, am I allowed to use names of real places and locations? I've seen them used in many books but isn't it some kind of masked publicity?

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Mon May 28, 2012 7:40 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

The short answer here is yes, you're allowed to use the names of real places and locations. And yes, there are complications that come with using real names, masked publicity and otherwise.

Names that are copyrighted are the big issue. Even if the portrayal is positive, some companies might take issue with you using their names. Say, if your characters meet at a Starbucks. This is where some TV shows (particularly cartoons) opt to take some elements of a store so that the audience knows the coffee shop is a Starbucks, but there are no copyright or trademark issues. So these sorts of locations are a tricky issue, but you shouldn't let it slow you down when it comes to writing. If a generic coffee shop or gas station or theme park or wherever won't do, then use the real world one... and an editor or publisher will decide if it's worth the hassle of keeping the same. (Some writers want the real world names for a super realism.)

Town and city names are different. Big cities are fair game, so long as you know them. And if it's an urban fantasy, you can make all the deviations you want anyway. A lot of writers just make up a town, but not always.

Unfortunately I have to go, but hopefully this at least somewhat answered your question (it's not dumb at all.) The main thing to take away would be to just write it. If it's an issue, someone will bring it up in one of the many phases a book goes through on the road to publication.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

11 Reviews

Mon May 28, 2012 7:51 pm
View Likes
Johann says...

Thanks you Rachael, I really apreciate your help. The fact is that I want to write a story that happens in Southampton and I needed some places like a club and a church where the characters to meet. I googled a bit and found the names of a real club and a church and I was really unsure if I was allowed to use them.
This is the first story I'm serios about and I want to start it tomorrow. I've always felt the need to get informed about this things before I start doing anything.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Mon May 28, 2012 10:36 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

In this case you might want to just make up the name of the church and the club. Mentioning specific places can end up being troublesome for additional reasons, such as the place closing or transferring ownership. Plus, there might be associations with the places that you aren't aware of and that Google can't tell you about.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

11 Reviews

Tue May 29, 2012 2:07 pm
Johann says...

Well I think I will just write church and club without giving any specific name. I think it's better this way plus I don't want to write a novel. It's not a good thing to start with something so big.

Remember the rain that made your corn grow.
— Haitian Proverb