z

Young Writers Society

Seeking Guide will pay with hugs

Reviews: 1
Thu May 24, 2012 1:56 am
Derick says...

Okay so i have an idea, i have all the characters, i know how the story will go, but i don;t know how to start. I would like to plan out the novel before writing it. Also, i feel like if i don't plan it out some how it'll end up coming out bad. So, down to the question. Does anyone have any resources or wants to help me or have any tips on how to plan out my novel?

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu May 24, 2012 3:04 am
View Likes
Kale says...

You can try the Snowflake Method.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Thu May 24, 2012 3:33 am
View Likes
Derick says...

I kinda already did to the full character sheets and i feel like ive gotten no where.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Thu May 24, 2012 3:38 am
Payne says...

Ah, outlining! Excellent idea to start out with at least a rough draft of where you want your story to go.

Everyone has different ways of outlining, but I would suggest starting out simple. If you know where you want the story to go, then get a piece of paper and write down the major events: plot twists, turning points, stuff like that. You don't have to go into a lot of detail, just enough to give you an idea of what's happening. That way you'll have the 'big picture' in a linear form.

And I was going to post a link to the Snowflake method, but Kyll beat me to it. :wink:

There are also several very helpful topics in the Writing Tips section of this site.

But one of the most important things for starting out with your story, is to approach it with confidence. If you worry too much about it ending badly, it could very well do that. Keep in mind that every writer must learn and grow with their art; a story never truly comes out 'bad', at least not in its early stages.

Especially since this is your first story, don't worry too much about how it's going to end up, just yet. For now, have some fun with it, get your ideas down on paper, and make it the story you want. You can always polish it up later, once you have a rough draft of it.
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:18 am
Blues says...

The first novel for me is always the best thing to write. You're not self concious, you really don't care how it'll turn out and it's all about having fun. (Let the characters nearly die? Yeahh, why not?)

You should treat it that way. Then you'll have loads of fun with it. You don't have to show anyone - that's what your other novels are for ;)

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:48 pm
babymagic18 says...

So you have your characters.
Do you have where your story is going to take place?
Is it set in the past, present, or future?
Do you have one main character or multiple?
Have you figured out what point of view it's going to be in?
What makes your story unique?
What do you want readers to get from your story?
Keep in mind a strong start.
Don't get ahead of yourself. Take it slow.
Journal your progress it's a great help. I do it myself.
Lastly. Keep in mind this story is yours, write it as you see it.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:40 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Derick wrote:I kinda already did to the full character sheets and i feel like ive gotten no where.

Character sheets tend to do that.

What I do is start off writing every single scene I've got on index cards. Then put them in some sort of order. Figure out where the gaps are and see if you get another idea. Just write out scene ideas as much as you can, then see if you have enough to start writing.

If yes, begin. If no, keep coming up with scenes you're interested in until you feel you're ready to start.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:26 am
Streaks says...

I prefered criteria for when primary scenes used to establish character/situation emphasises and THEN while establish a begin-of-momentum point for events that her story make, THEN introduce specific more plot. :)

Prefered criteria my own, opinions. :)
How do you get a giraffe to establish itself in half?
Potion!

Random avatar

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:09 am
esnym says...

I think the snowflake method is a pretty good bet. It's a great way of planning out everything you need to keep a story moving and write without stalling every 5 pages (at least for me). But a good tip to keep in mind is, don't let it limit you too much. You should have a good outline, but keep in mind that it's important to retain the spontaneity and emotion in your writing. :) It's what keeps it fun.
Good luck!

Reviews: 4
Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:31 pm
JOV97 says...

From my experience, I'd say first, do a rough chapter plan with all the major occurrences you know are vital to the plot - but don't overdo the detail. Then go ahead and write - you know your first draft won't be the final version (they're called first drafts for a reason), and see where the story goes. Once you're done with this draft, and you know the story off by heart, try planning in more depth, highlighting what you need to change and improve, and you'll learn from your draft where you went wrong and what you need to do next.

Good luck!
You're my favourite.

The quote generator! That's a genius idea.
— Necromancer14