z

Young Writers Society

Back Cover

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sat May 12, 2012 3:12 am
babymagic18 says...

On the back cover of novels they have a snappy brief telling of what their novel is about. I don't know how to do that and I need to. Can I get some help? My major issue is that I have three main characters all revolving around one of the main characters Revenge. Two of the characters are in third person while the other is in first. I just need a beginning of some sort to get me going.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Sat May 12, 2012 8:11 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

At this point, you really don't need to concern yourself with the back cover synopsis, unless you're planning on self-publishing, because to my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong), authors don't even write the back cover copy themselves. Often, the easiest way to do it is have someone else write it for you, because what interests that someone else about the story is probably different than what interests you as the writer. Writers also tend to have this thing where we can't pick out the important stuff, because to us, [i]everything[/] is important, which makes picking out just a few things feel like murdering our darlings. To return to the point: unless you're self-publishing, don't worry about the back cover.

Unless you want to.

Because I also know how tempting and fun and exciting it is to do things like draw the front cover and write the back copy and imagine how it's going to be when it's a book. So if you want to write it, here's what I'd say.

1. Ask yourself what makes this story different.
2. Identify what your plot hook is--that moment where things switch from Order and Normal to Chaos/Strange/Wonderful/Problematic.
3. Go read the back covers of some of your favorite books and really study them to see how they work. Read the back covers of other books. Try to figure out what makes them work for you and what makes them not work.
4. Remember that simple is good; simpler is not.

Those things in mind, experiment and get some guinea pigs. Read aloud to see if it sounds engaging.

If it helps, respond to this post not just with any questions you might have, but with why I ought to read your novel (in terms of the story) and we'll see if we can't brainstorm something out.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
— Leonardo da Vinci