z

Young Writers Society

Tone in Writing

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:40 pm
EloquentDragon says...

We're doing this in my Lit. Analysis class, and I realized it is something that is missing from my own writing.
So, how does one create tone? What is tone? How is tone different from mood? And lastly, how does an auther keep their (attitude) tone seperate from the general tone of the piece, while still perhaps weaving it in a bit.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:14 am
babymagic18 says...

Tone is just the voice you need to have fit what it is that you are writing. For example If you are writing a children's story you wouldn't use a voice meant for an adult romance would you? I think not!
Mood is all about how one is feeling at a particular point in time. If you're writing an angry scene in the children's book you need to have your words reflect that. Ex. Tommy threw down the ceramic cup shattering it to pieces, cheeks hot and flushed with rage.
I hope this helps some.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:07 am
Twit says...

Tone kind of happens without one realising it. Everything has tone, but it's getting it right that takes work. Like babymagic said, you need to fit the mood to the subject. So if you're writing a comedy, you can write a death scene with "Yep, she's snuffed it", but that wouldn't work in a serious drama.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:15 am
RacheDrache says...

Thirding what the others have said so far, and adding a little bit. There's Voice, which transcends everything you write, from work to work, and this can take years to develop and "find". But tone and mood... everything has a tone, but mood changes from scene to scene, as Twit and Babymagic said.

Tone is created largely through two structural things. One is your word choice, the other is sentence structure. And then there's pacing, as well as the ratio of exposition to dialogue to action, etc.

Here's a nice link: http://examples.yourdictionary.com/exam ... story.html
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how.
— Friedrich Nietzsche