z

Young Writers Society

Eh....have a few questions :X

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:47 am
xXVividMemoryXx says...

So i am new here ~obviously~, Will introduce myself in the introductions forum in a little bit.Just have a few things to say,and then ill ask the questions i am going to ask.

My older sister always tells me to write down what pops up in my head like say example a scene or something and just keep writing,don't stop to think. Because i spend a-lot of time doing this ~Sits down and stares off into space thinking what to write and how to make it sound good to other people and not cliche~ xD.
A-lot of my idea's are what people would call Cliche.My older sister said to write whatever i enjoy and not to worry about people saying this is so cliche or this has been done so many times before.Like say example i love Vampires (Not Twilight though),i write A-LOT of vampire stories.I also write a-lot of stories with people going crazy and stuff. I want to eventually upload but well....i don't upload because i get stuck on a story and then i give up.Longest i have written for a story is 2 pages (Sad i know).

So what i am trying to ask is....

1.How can i stay motivated on a story and not give up like i always do?

2.I write in third person but....Is it possible to switch between third person and first?

3.Well all my characters are all guys,i have absolutely no girl characters (All my guys ~Which is only 4~ are couples.) I want to learn how to write a boy and girl couple too,but i just find boy and girl couples very......~No offense to anyone~ Boring. ~Yes i am into Yaoi ,so that might be part of it....~

4.My characters are very similar in personality,how can i fix that so they are not all the same?

5.I run out of idea's real fast,would it help if i wrote down stuff on a paper that got me interested? Like certain topic's? Is there any good ways to organize my idea's?

6.How can i make my writing not sound like a little kid wrote it *I am 14 years old by the way* ? I have always had trouble with grammar classes and stuff,i just don't get it :(.

Thanks,
Chrissy <3

P.S.-Sorry for all the questions :shock:

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:27 am
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

1. The first step here is to write the ideas that excite you. The ones that keep you up at night, the ones you daydream about. The story you really, really want to write. No matter if you think it's cliche, or if you worry other people will think it boring. Write what *you* want to write.

As for not giving up... instead of getting a new, shinier idea and abandoning the old for the new, try combining ideas as you get them into one long story.

And ask yourself questions. "Why did this character do that? Why didn't he do that?" Get to know them, and you'll want to stay with them and write their stories.

3. If they're all guys, that's no problem at all! I had some novels where the cast was almost entirely male. See number one: write what you interests you, what you want to read.

4. Ask yourselves questions about them. Figure out who they are. They might all seem the same to you at first... but you'll discover, after a few questions, that they're all very, very different. Figure out where they grew up, what their parents were like, what they want to do with their lives, etc.

5. I like to scribble! But I've also used an idea notebook before. I don't know if it'll keep you stocked with ideas, but it couldn't hurt to try it!

6. The answer to this is easy: read a lot, and write a lot. Reading will get you used to seeing how things ought to look and can sound. And writing a lot will give you the practice. In terms of grammar, though, there are some great resources here on YWS for you to use! Just check out: viewforum.php?f=151

Hopefully this helps you out some! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Rach
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:36 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

1. Live the story before you write it. This might seem contrary to most advise but I find that the stories I stay obsessed with longest are the ones that I've let grow in my head for a month or two, resisting that urge to write down more than a few quick notes (so I don't forget). If you leave the story in your head, there's none of the tedium which comes with struggling to find the right words or the frustration that writing does eventually lead to, no matter how much we love it. It stays in your head and grows in its pure form of creation. Then, when you're hooked enough you start writing and you'll find yourself more determined to finish it. I'm not saying new ideas won't occur to you, because they will, but there's a self control element there as well.

2.I write in third person but....Is it possible to switch between third person and first?

Yes it is, though its not always advised. Experimental writers do this all the time, some more successfully than others and you even find a few novelists who make use of it. One of the easier and more accepted ways is to dedicate a full chapter at a time to your first person point of view so some chapters are third person and others are first. You can dip in and out of character's thoughts without using first person though if you just want to give a deeper insight into the characters. It depends on what you want to use that first person for?

3.Well all my characters are all guys,i have absolutely no girl characters (All my guys ~Which is only 4~ are couples.) I want to learn how to write a boy and girl couple too,but i just find boy and girl couples very......~No offense to anyone~ Boring. ~Yes i am into Yaoi ,so that might be part of it....~

There's nothing wrong with male heavy stories, one of my favourite authors growing up was David Eddings and he very much favoured the male characters. There were few series that had more than one or two pivotal female roles but I loved the books despite that. There's also 'Ender's Game' which is an amazing novel and stars just a single female main character and a whole bunch of males but it's excellent story-telling so who could complain? If you really want to try it, what I'd suggest is starting with a boyish girl. If it's the girly traits that you struggle with then try a more masculine female and see how that works out.

4.My characters are very similar in personality,how can i fix that so they are not all the same?

Meet more people! This is seriously the best advise a writer can give or get on characterisation. If you know a wider variety of people then you understand a wider selection of character traits and have more to choose from when creating your own. If all the people you know are friendly and interested in music then all your characters will be too. Our novels are affected by life experience so go out of your way to meet diverse people. Or listen in to conversations on public transport and tell yourself you have to create a character who would talk like that.

5.I run out of idea's real fast,would it help if i wrote down stuff on a paper that got me interested? Like certain topic's? Is there any good ways to organize my idea's?

I like jotting down ideas whenever and wherever they come so I try to carry paper around with me, I must have at least ten notebooks scattered around. But basically, anything that interests me, I'll jot it down and then go back to it later. When I feel in the mood to write but have no ideas, I'll just dig through the scraps until I find something that sends the cogs whirring in my head.

6.How can i make my writing not sound like a little kid wrote it *I am 14 years old by the way* ? I have always had trouble with grammar classes and stuff,i just don't get it :(.

Don't worry about this! Getting good at writing takes time and the best way to learn is to read and write. Just keep going with it and over the years you'll be able to look back and read old pieces and see the improvement between now and then. If you think you're really struggling though, try researching it. There are lots of places on the internet that teach grammar and plenty of self help books on how to write.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:01 am
xXVividMemoryXx says...

Thanks for the help,RachaelElg and Rydia :).

If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
— Anatole France