z

Young Writers Society

Er...help? (Name related)

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:45 am
EloquentDragon says...

So, I've got a guy with three names.

Ace: his assasin alias thing as a member of an assassin organization. ;)

Riem: His real name. I know how I pronounce it, but how do you? (Want to make sure I'm coming across...)

Shaft: His "haunted wanderer" psuedonym.

Black Ace/Ace of Spades/the Ace/.../: His name to the common folk...sort of an urban legend kind of thing.

What do you all think? Comments please. Wanted the name to match his character. (He suffers from amnesia, is reserved and reckless. A dark/errant knight sort of archetype.) And also to match the setting. (A SF/steampunk styled fantasty world mixed b/tw the early 1900's, edo era Japan, and modern america...heh :shock: )
Help greatlt apreciated, thanks. :mrgreen:
~Elo
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:04 am
View Likes
Charlie II says...

I pronounce Riem as "Ree-Em". Is that right?

I like "Ace" as the alias and it makes a lot of sense because it links to the "Black Ace" / "Ace of Spades" thing. That works well.

I guess Riem is good for a real name. Perhaps it would help if you gave us a list of other characters' names in the story so we could see how they sound and fit together. At the moment it's hard to imagine the context.

As for the third, "Shaft", I'm not really sure why he needs another name! It sounds a bit confusing, but it's a nice unusual name so I'd be tempted to keep it just for the awesomeness. What's the Haunted Wanderer business? It sounds spooky...
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:07 am
View Likes
Twit says...

A character that has lots of names gets complicated very quickly, as I've discovered from bitter, bitter experience, lol. >_<

I'd have said Riem either as REE-em or REEM. Or possibly RYE-m.

I'm not sure about "the Ace" and its variations... it doesn't sound right for the setting, as ace makes me think of flying aces, or things being ace, which is all very 20th Century England.

I'd say just stick with Riem, and not go with the Ace alias as I don't think it quite fits.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

192 Reviews

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:25 pm
View Likes
EloquentDragon says...

Well...
I only have two other names for the series right now:
Hinata: Romantic interest
Jaq: An insane, minor antagonist

"Ace" is b/c he's a weapons contracter...and the assassin organization was based of a deck of cards. Each member symbolizes a different card. (There's Riem, whose the Ace of Spades, a King of hearts, a queen of clubs, and Jaq-obviously of diamonds. :mrgreen: )

The reason why he calls himself "Shaft" is b/c, as I said, he suffers from memory loss. So as he hauntedly wanders around, searching for his uh...*insert motivation here* he refers to himself as "Shaft." (I chose it b/c the word itself can mean something broken...)

Enter, if you dare.

192 Reviews

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:29 pm
View Likes
EloquentDragon says...

Oh yeah guys, thanks for your replies!

I forgot to ask:
What feelings do you have toward the names "Riem" and "Shaft" conversly? What do those names connote?

Enter, if you dare.

Reviews: 0
Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:20 am
View Likes
OokamiKitsune says...

You said he was kind of knightly figure for people, I would call him the Dark Ace of Hearts but that me.

Riem ( I pronounce it R- (long) A- MA)
means "sweet gentle little rabbit" which fits if he is reserved and it has a nice ring to it :)

Shaft- interesting choice, I think it will work as long as no one is inappropriate about it :shock: sorry if you didn't or still don't notice.

All in all they work and together at that
Every hello is the prologue to the knowing farewell, so make as many stories as you can:)

Who knew paper and ink could be so vicious.
— Kathryn Stockett, The Help