z

Young Writers Society

Popular South African names

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:56 am
Starhunter says...

Hey all!
I'm writing a story which has African characters (from nowhere specific) and was trying to come up with some names. Preferrably South African (the country) but they could be from anywhere in South Africa (the region) too.

I have one man and three women, mostly upper class. Also, this is around 1900ish, so no modern names please.

Also, I was thinking of naming of the women Veronika. Is it common to name people European names in South Africa, due to all the European influence there?

Thanks!
Why do we fall?
So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it!
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it.

Reviews: 3
Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:35 am
Cuprammonium says...

Try google. Also
http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.co ... names.html

http://www.behindthename.com/names/usag ... rn-african

Tip: try to use the more simple ones for the sake of prounouciation. 
Eg. Tariro is a very beautiful name to me. I know a girl who's name is this. Always ask her questions for the sake of saying her name.  
As for western influence I think you should try to get African names such as tariro and kagiso but ones that don't have many syllables. I'm not an expert on the topic but I think that it's African American who tend to have more western names than African expeshily in an earlier time period. Nowdays It would be differnt though.   

+ literally google South African names. You'll be surprised what you get. There are many beautiful SA names out there. I also saw a SA name called Chipo which would suit a younger or innocent character in veiws of a western audiunce

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:48 pm
barefootrunner says...

There is a huge difference between the different cultural groups in South Africa. (Hence the name "Rainbow Nation".)

Whites:
Englishmen: Anything goes. At this stage in the country's development, many Englishmen saw themselves as superior to other races and nationalities, and would probably be the "upper class" you were speaking of. These should have pure English names.

If you are speaking of the Afrikaners, Boers, Dutch people, they didn't quite have a recognised language. Afrikaans was seen as a dialect of Dutch and looked down upon -- it was called Kitchen Dutch, and was only spoken, never written. Afrikaans has gained independence as a recognised language by now. I would suggest for females names such as Mienke, Danielle, Liebe, Anja, Anel, Liesbet, Kara, Karla, Silke, Bettie, Sarie, Sara, Lisa, Sonja, Jana, Maria, Susan, and names from the Bible generally, as Afrikaners are a very religious people. Many names were also adaptions of English names. Veronika, though, is not a common name, not African at all. For men, Isak, Boeta, Johan, Daniel, Henko, Jan, Jannie, Fanjan, Karel, Benjamin, Pieter, Pietie, Lourens, Le Roux, Botha, Hendrik, Hano, Meintjies etc.

The coloureds and blacks:
In the 1900's the black people, the Xhosas, Zulus, Sothos etc., were still very much in tribes, or small farmers. They had their own class systems, but they were certainly seen as inferior. The Europeans had guns and technology -- the Africans had pangas, assegais and cattle. The Europeans simply took their ground because they could, though some paid. Their names would come directly from the Nquni languages, like men: Thabo, Kgalema, Malema, Gigaba, Motlanthe, Malusi, Hadebe and women: Thandi, Naledi, Nkosazana, Nomble, Nombeko, Nomuula etc. (If they are in English employment: Precious, Princess, Pretty, Joy, Virtue etc.)

You must know that the 1900's is just after the Anglo-Boere war, and later in the century Apartheid will become official, so there was deep social unrest in the country. Africa was a dangerous place, even deep into the century. 1994 -- Rwanda genocide -- 800 000 people killed on base of race. So if you want to know more of the history and culture of Southern Africa, PM me :) and good luck with the writing!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:40 am
zohali93 says...

I know some kenyan names but that is east African
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" and they will not be tried? (29:2)

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:11 am
AlfredSymon says...

Here everyone, check these out:

http://www.familiesonlinemagazine.com/baby-names/african.html

These names have etymological meanings which can bring out a better show of character for your, well, characters!
Last edited by AlfredSymon on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:06 pm
zohali93 says...

thanks for the suggestion.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" and they will not be tried? (29:2)

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:27 pm
Starhunter says...

Thanks guys. :) It's really helpful!
Why do we fall?
So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it!
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it.

Revision is one of the exquisite pleasures of writing.
— Bernard Malamud