z

Young Writers Society

Need help translating spanish :)

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:28 am
View Likes
Fishr says...

I see. And that all was written on one blade? No wonder it was nearly eight inches!!

I wish I could take better pictures of the blade because on the opposite side there is a very strange picture. A bird is chasing another bird in what appeared to be over a brook or pond with bushes in the corners of the knife. Very weird. And of course the end of the dagger has a hawk-like head.

Mesh, yeah. That helped tremendously. But now that I have a better understanding the meaning, it just makes that dagger all the more mysterious, lol.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:42 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Though it proves that the blacksmiths did NOT know how to spell... really! *grumbles*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

365 Reviews

Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:46 am
View Likes
Fishr says...

ROFL!

Snoink, that made my night! (litterally laughing my butt off!)

It shows how advanced we've become and how much language has changed. And I have that example hanging on my wall no less, lol. But yeah, who wants to critique the dagger?? :D

LOL!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:10 am
View Likes
David Guinness says...

Nice dagger! Except for the spelling! :)

Well done, everyone! I was just coming to post that the "formatted" version would be "Camaron que no nada se lo lleva la cascada." ...Which rhymes, I suppose... Hmmm..

Oh... a colloquialism- http://www.answers.com/colloquialism&r=67
David Guinness

365 Reviews

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:28 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

Nice dagger!
Thanks! *grins*

Except for the spelling!
No kidding, lol. Agreed 110% percent.

Thank you for the link. That helped a lot. And yeah, thanks everyone for the help.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:28 pm
View Likes
Sophie says...

That is one friggin sexy knife...
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

365 Reviews

Mon May 01, 2006 12:18 am
View Likes
Fishr says...

*huge grins* Thanks!

I can't take my eyes off of it, and I have knives and another dagger in various areas of my house. My oldest knife at the time belonged to another uncle of mine - from WW2. His, or my knife now, is pure metal, the heaviest one I own. On the front, it's in engraved - U.S (just as it is).

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Collecting knives, daggers, etc is a strong hobby of mine going way back and I could rattle on all day but I'll save you all your sanity.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Mon May 01, 2006 4:56 pm
View Likes
Sophie says...

Tehe, sorry but that all sounds a little creepy.... :)
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

365 Reviews

Wed May 03, 2006 2:14 am
View Likes
Fishr says...

Creepy that I collect pocket knives, daggers and the like? Or I just have them in specific areas of my house?

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Wed May 03, 2006 3:02 am
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

Yeah, I dont think the blacksmiths knew how to spell. The ' in Camaro'n is probably just a smudge, and since most people in the 1800's didnt know how to read, the 'lolleba' is a mispelling.

So, it should be: "Camaron que no nada se lo lleva la cascada".

Translating to: "Shrip that doesnt swim is taken away by the cascada/waterfall".

I'm glad I took 3 years of spanish.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed May 03, 2006 3:08 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Well, here's the thing. In Spanish, you have very lazy v's that sound more like b's than b's. For instance, if I were to say the word "voy," more than likely I would let my upper lip cover my teeth just a little bit, which would give it a more "bey" sound. (When a non-native speaker usually says it, he would curl his teeth for a "vey" sound.)

So yep... they must have printed what they thought it sounded like. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

365 Reviews

Wed May 03, 2006 9:23 pm
View Likes
Fishr says...

Sweet! Thank you Blue Monkey! I find it amusing and a bit funny that the blacksmith (I highly doubt the dagger was done by a silversmith) that built this dagger was illiterate.

I'm not sure if anyone is interested but I noticed something very weird about this dagger.

I've been studying it lately (I'm a geek) with my other knives. Interestingly enough, there is something significantly different about the metal on the blade especially versus modern day blades. For example, I own a Buck knife and of course the blade is stainless steel. This means it's water resistant and it won't rust quickly but still even stainless steel blades will show tarnish over the years if their exposed to water or residue, in which case a good polishing is in order.

But this dagger's blade hasn't been sharpened in who knows how long. There isn't even a trace of an edge left, which signals to me that it has to be pretty old. Still, even in it's age, believe it or not there is hardly any tarnish or signs of rust at all. It's like the metal on the handle and the blade itself is 90% resistant to rust. My uncle never sharpens, polishes or oils his collection because he feels it kills the artifact.

Anyway, I just thought that was interesting what I found and the rest who helped me might like to hear about my observations too.

Wouldn't be cool if the dagger was from the Spanish American War? :D I wish I could locate the original owner but that's never going to happen, lol. What a crazy and mysterious world there was in the past.

Snoink- Thanks for your input! That's cool and interesting. Very, actually.

Someday, everything is going to go right for you, and it will be so wonderful you won't even know what to do.
— Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham, Questionable Content